• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battling water spots in paint

Hawker

Reaction score
02 XLT with water spots in very shiney original paint. Tried clay bar with no success. Washed with detergent (Joy dishwashing) to wash wax away and they're still there just as stubborn as ever. Do you think I might need several more washings to get down to the problem level or give me some ideas guys? This truck is perfect except for this and it's driving me crazy.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
get yourself a buffer, some compound, and some polish. That oughta do the trick.

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
Try Nu Finish. It's that stuff they show cleaning up a junkyard car. It works pretty good on scratches and water spots both.

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I parked where the water hit my truck twice when it was new and got full of water spots. I took it to the stealership and they cleaned it right off. The second time it happened they left a bottle of the stuff they use in the truck and all it was was the wax that ford uses . But hey it works great on water spots took em all off even the ones on the glass.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Could also be acid rain spots, which don't come off like water spots do.

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Hmmm this is a tough one without being able to look at your paint. If they are regular water spots ON the paint then a buffer with a swirl removing compound (I prefer 3M products) on a fine foam pad at about 1400rpm will do you real good. Then you need to wax, wax, wax!!! to protect that paint! If its acid rain spots then they are IN the paint and there really is nothing you can do short of wet sand and clear coat. Unless the spots arent etched in too bad yet, then you may be able to buff them out. I would do something before it rains again if it is acid rain because you will notice that rain water will just about always collect in the exact same spot as the last time. If that happens then the etched water spots will continue to get worse. I know all of this from experience both with my truck and at work. (I detail cars for a living)

jgrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having this problem with my 05 Mustang GT. It was parked in the driveway a few months ago. While I was at work, the sprinkler system decided to break and mist water on my car for nearly twelve hours before it was shut down. It was 105 degrees that day. The hard water is so bad, it had basically etched into the windows and paint.

I've tried a bunch of diffenert things on the windows: window cleaner/polish, simple green, bathroom cleaner, vinegar, 0000 steel wool.

For the paint, I also tried clay bar, which was supposed to remove swirl marks, but really just gave me a ton of swirl marks. I tried polishing compound with a buffer......nothing. I tried Meguires Fine-cut Cleaner with the buffer, which started to cut through, but didn't quite do it. Next attempt is either Medium-cut cleaner, or Meguires speed glaze. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to wet sand it.

The water in my neighborhood is nasty. The hard water build up is a pain in the butt in the shower too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals