• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

beadlock ballance!

camshaft01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok ive tried most of the steel beadlocks on the market, and the weld on ones too. what my dillema is, i cant find a strong beadlock wheel that can be ballanced.
has anyone ran the walker evans? (alluminum ones) if so are they a smooth running wheel? my steel wheels will shake the tar outta me , also they destroy any bearing from the wheel to the motor.
i know and understand that they are not DOT approved, but i dont care. because there are so many look alike wheels out ,that the cops dont take a second look. so with that said, please help me find a smooth running wheel with external locks. 5x5.5 no eight lug only stuff.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You try any internal balancing methods?

I'm running balance beads in my 36" swampers....they work very well.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know this is a lot of info, but better safe than sorry. I know that Staun makes an internal beadlock that seals the tire to the rim from the inside, and from what I've heard they're supposed to be super tough. If you don't want to go that route, I know that some people use something called Equal Tire Balancer, which is essentially a specific weight that you choose(3oz. 4oz. etc), and it's tiny lead balls, somewhat like birdshot inside of a thin paper bag, which you place inside the tire prior to mounting. Then you put the wheel straight on the truck, and dont put anything else on it to try and balance it. As the tire spins, the bag breaks open and the balls spin around and spread evenly inside the tire and balance it from the inside. I know that they work very well on a non-beadlock wheel, but you might be able to give them a shot. Who knows, they might work. You can get them from expeditionexchange.com. You might also be able to get the stick on wieghts that go on the inside face of the rim. I know that tire shops put them on cars that have nice rims that shouldn't be screwed up with a piece of lead on the lip, so they just stick on the inside of the rim, not where the tire and rim meet, but the inside face of the rim that faces the brake. Centerline Wheel also makes what they call an I.C.E. wheel, which is beadlocked, and should the tire blow out has a small solid rubber rim on the inside that you can drive on for 60 miles until you can stop. The I.C.E. wheel was actually fitted to the original military HMMWV(Humvee) so you know they've got to be tough. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

camshaft01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the ballancing beads didnt helped one bit, so i tried bbs aka(copperhead)and they are real noisy on the street. the ceramics are the same, they wont work. once i hit a bump at speeds over 55mph it shakes uncontrollably for a mile or so till the beads settle.the stick on weights are good. but after 60 ounces to ballance one wheel, the darned things wouldnt fit over my brakes. ive changed tires ,and its definatly the wheels ,then i tried making my own,with a diy kit, i even went as far as cleanig the weelds with a lathe wich i highly recomend doing on those wheels, the grinder is not true. still i chatter my teath while driving.
as far as the internal type go,with ultra low pressures and cactus, they dont last but two trips. i live in the mojave desert.
i need a ballancable external beadlock, please help!

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
a buddy of mine uses a set of aluminum beadlock wheels, and they balanced up perfectly. He does expeditions in 10,000 plus km's, so a balanced wheel is important to him, forget what type they are, Ill see if I can get pics.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I know exactly how you feel, I live in the Mojave as well. The Staun internal locks will work down to zero PSI, and they seal the tire to the rim from the inside so even though the tire itself is fully deflated, the beadlock seats it fully. The Staun internal locks are fully load rated and has a 5 year warranty. It's worth looking into even if you don't go for it anyway. Check out their website.

camshaft01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im scared to run the internals on my crawler, it sounds great but its just to expensive to fail, and they are a pain to mount.
as for the guy with the alluminum bead locks. that is great info on your buddies truck. see if you can get a brand name. the shake rattle and roll is killin me.
thank you all for your help!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Walker Evans makes some nice aluminum beadlocks

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did your wheels and tires balance correctly before you put the beadlocks on? maybe you need to make sure the beadlocks are perfectly true before you put them on.
just a thought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals