• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bearings? Bushings? Ranger Hubs 29071 & 37780

malecat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have searched all over this site and all over the internet too and cannot find the answer to this question. Can anybody tell me for sure about the bearing-bushing issue on the newer 29071 hubs? Do the newer 29071's have bearings or bushings? I have a 1996 ranger that I want to replace the broken automatic hubs. In reading the "Offroad Tech" article by 4x4Junkie "Stronger "Jeep" hubs for the Dana 35" it tells of using P/N 37780 Jeep hubs in place of the stock replacement P/N 29071. The 37780's are only $20.00 more than the 29071's for sale on this site. If you look closely at the pictures in the article, the 29071's have a huge needle bearing that covers the whole length of the axleshaft gear. It will probably last for a long time. The 37780's have a small bushing that doesn't even cover the full length of the bearing surface of the axleshaft gear. I drive my Ranger cross country and bushing wear is a concern. The Jeep hubs are stronger but how often would you drive with the rear hubs unlocked on a Jeep. Probably only for towing and thing likes that so bushing wear would not be an issue. I have also looked on Warn's site and they do not show a service kit for the 37780's. If both the 37780's and the newer 29071's both have a thin bushing, I will spend the extra $20.00 and go with the 37780's. But if the 29071's still have the needle bearings I will probably go with them. Can anybody answer this question? Does anybody know the answer? I have seen this question come up several times before on forums and nobody ever gave a definitive answer......

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I prefer the hubs with the bushing rather than the bearing.

The bushing/bearing only does anything when the hubs are UNlocked.
so it isn't a load issue.

People think needle bearings are so cool...
Frankly Bronze bushings are simple, stupid and they WORK...
so mabey they aren't so "stupid" after all?

AD

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Keep a light coat of grease on them and you won't ever have any issues. Like said, there is never any actual load on them.

BTW, those 37780 hubs are also the same ones included with Jeep FRONT axle conversions as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals