• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bed coating on chrome

XMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know if bed coatings such as Herculiner will stick to and cover chrome? :dunno:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
you need to scuff it real good. with say a wire brush attachment. or maybe even something a bit rougher. it needs a good textured surface to stick to. so scuff it and degrease it real good before you start. Thats my suggestion.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know anybody that has done that before. I guess you could if it has been sanded down a bit. You can paint chrome I know that since I have done it before but you have to use a very good paint.
I went to a paint shop and got tips before I painted a nice Warn winch bumper for a friend a few years ago. I had to sand and scuff it up good to get some good grip for the black satin paint I applied to the bumper and it came out realy nice and until it got a bad nick in it one day it held up very well. You could see a bit of chrome under that nick. It was decal time anyway my buddy said....lol

ASMODEAN

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 litres of ticking fury
Transmission
Manual
I've tried with little success to put hurculiner on chrome (even when sanded). It WILL eventually peel off if bumped or scraped. My advise would be to have the chrome item powdercoated.

Last edited:

XMAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've tried with little success to put hurculiner on chrome (even when sanded). It WILL eventually peel off if bumped or scraped. My advise would be to have the chrome item powdercoated.
Yeah thats what I was think'in. The powder coating is not a bad idea, I just want to get rid of these chrome bumpers without writing a fat check. Any body know if '01 painted bumpers will fit a 2000?

snoman6115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
you can make anything stick to chrome with an adhesion promoter. i know oreilly stores sell it and probably napa. never seen it at auto zone though. with the promoter you still scuff the chrome and it will act as a bonding primer

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also look for a paint supply store for the adhsion promoter. I bought some to paint the bumper cover on my Moms Toyota

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals