• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Benefit in installing M50D-R1 HD internals into an M50D-R1?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
I have a 3.0 auto, but planning on a manual swap. I will be rebuilding the transmission that I pull either way. I was wondering if it would be any benefit to install the stronger synchros from the HD into the regular R1 trans?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
check the gear ratios first.
the transmissions for 3.0 & 2.3 have lower ratios than 4.0 trannies in the lower gears.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The gear ratios are different in the HD compared to a regular transmission. I would check the information in the tech section on the gear ratios and make sure they are right for you.

There is probably more information that there as well. I don't remember what makes an HD and HD. So, I can't say if the syncros are stronger or not.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There is no benefit to doing that. Nobody has provided conclusive evidence that the HD is stronger so I am very skeptical... the syncros are not a weak point in these transmissions anyway.

Also the rebuild kits and parts for the HD models are extremely expensive and hard to find.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
There is no benefit to doing that. Nobody has provided conclusive evidence that the HD is stronger so I am very skeptical... the syncros are not a weak point in these transmissions anyway.

Also the rebuild kits and parts for the HD models are extremely expensive and hard to find.
Ah okay, just testing the waters right now. I’ll probably just rebuild the R1 like normal.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
There was a point where the 5th gear area was changed to improve oiling to that area. I don't know if that is in the HD only.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There was a point where the 5th gear area was changed to improve oiling to that area. I don't know if that is in the HD only.
I can't say either but you do bring up a good point, there were a few M5OD variants. '88 to 90/91ish was the first one, then very early 90's to the mid 90's (reverse cluster redesigned), then for a few years after that where certain gears were cut differently & the shifter was modified, up until '01 or so when the HD variant came out. I haven't played with the newer ones at all so I guess I can't say if the HD was only behind the 4.0 SOHC, and if so, were the internals the same as the 2.3 and 3.0 transmissions, or were those more similar to the units from the late 90's?

All that is probably irrelevant, my advise is pick the gear set you want and buy the rest of the parts based on that. Transmissions that originally were behind 4.0 engines of any year have slightly higher ratio 1st and 2nd gears - 4 cylinder, 2.9 and 3.0 transmissions have lower 1st and 2nd gears.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 Front, 5 Back
I can't say either but you do bring up a good point, there were a few M5OD variants. '88 to 90/91ish was the first one, then very early 90's to the mid 90's (reverse cluster redesigned), then for a few years after that where certain gears were cut differently & the shifter was modified, up until '01 or so when the HD variant came out. I haven't played with the newer ones at all so I guess I can't say if the HD was only behind the 4.0 SOHC, and if so, were the internals the same as the 2.3 and 3.0 transmissions, or were those more similar to the units from the late 90's?

All that is probably irrelevant, my advise is pick the gear set you want and buy the rest of the parts based on that. Transmissions that originally were behind 4.0 engines of any year have slightly higher ratio 1st and 2nd gears - 4 cylinder, 2.9 and 3.0 transmissions have lower 1st and 2nd gears.
So I could technically use the HD gearing in the regular R1? I may be turbocharging down the line and feel like I would run out of gearing with the normal short ratio gears.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If the info isn't in the tech section, I would try to find a repair manual for the transmission so as to make sure the parts will fit. You're really going into the weeds on this one and I don't know if anyone here has the yes/no/maybe answers you need.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals