• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best DIY Roll-On Bedliner

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ive been kicking around the idea of paint my bumpers, the grill, and fender flares matte black since I bought this truck a little over a month ago. Last night I came up with the idea of using a roll on bed liner. Paying someone to prep and spray on a bed liner is not an option because of the cost and being out a vehicle for a day. I really just want to know people's experiences with roll on bed liner. My main concern is how well do they stand up to the sun. I don't want something that will end up fading and turn out being a dull, ugly, flat gray color after a couple years. Everything I would be putting the liner on is already dull, ugly, flat gray.

I know prep has a lot to do with how well the bed-liner will stand up to abuse, but how would roll on liner compare to paint with scratches and nicks?

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Herculiner has been used by several members before to do their entire trucks and they liked it. I used cheap rattle can spray on bedliner to make my body and doors match my bumpers so my truck has consistent color all the way around, but I have to touch it up every year. I've been thinking of wire-wheeling it off and upgrading to roll-on myself, and I keep getting told to get herculiner. You can even get it in different colors. I think it's like $100 a gallon though.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
If you use your truck as a truck. ALL diy bed liners SUCK! If you just use your truck as a car then they are all fine. I hall scrap and the only ones that hold up are the one by the pros. or a slide in one.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If you use your truck as a truck. ALL diy bed liners SUCK! If you just use your truck as a car then they are all fine. I hall scrap and the only ones that hold up are the one by the pros. or a slide in one.
I wont be doing the bed, but I do plan to do the bed rails with it. The rails have big chips missing from a camper shell being on it for years.I do use it as a truck. The bed usually has things in it 3-5 days a week, but it is just lawn mowing equipment. I'm mostly just wondering if the roll on will fade, I dont plan on running into shit with the bumpers constantly so I don't see peeling to be much of an issue. Ill be keeping my drop in bed liner, I honestly don't see how a spray on or roll on liner would be better for the bed, it can still get dents that way and the plastic bed liner has not cause any rust like people seem to say.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 & 7.5 460
Transmission
Manual
Not sure on the fading but for what you want to do you any should be fine then. I have had plastic linners in a truck for 14 years with holes in it and no rust in the bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals