• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best locker for ford 9 28 spline

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking for a locker. Money isn't an issue right now, but I want the best and most reliable.
I'm looking at an detropit locker which replaces the spiders and gear holder part, a lot more work and money but are they good?
Other option is a lock rite which only replace the spider gears but looks much weaker and half the price.

Any experience with either of these lockers?

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
i wouldnt spend much on a locker with little 28spline shafts. Therefor my vote is for the lock-rite. its going to be stronger than your shafts. Dont forget to also buy a chromo x-pin.

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, what he said.

If money isn't an issue I'd upgrade those axles first. I've seen them break with an open carrier.

I don't know what's up with Detroit. Lately I've seen several of them breaking (maybe they outsourced or something). They used to be the best/strongest locker out but I've seen too many having problems that were bought within the last year. Had one just yesterday that had broken where the carrier bearing rides.

I've ran several Lock-Rights in zuk and toy axles. They are loud and break pins a lot but they are ok for the money.

Personally, I run spools. Simple, yet effective.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry...these aren't the tapered 28 splines...these are Versailles 28 splines which are full non tapered. Just as stromg as 31 spline.

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i vote Detroit. if it's true that the new ones don't seem to be as good, then go for an older used one in really good condition. that's what i did and got for $200 and it was in excellent shape and i've had no problems with it at all. quiet, strong, and locks up fast when you need it.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry...these aren't the tapered 28 splines...these are Versailles 28 splines which are full non tapered. Just as stromg as 31 spline.
Sorry but you're misinformed. Not sure which tapered shafts you are referring to but regardless, your shafts are not as strong as a 31spline shaft, unless they are 4340, and then they are only as strong as a stock 31. If money isn't an issue for you I would upgrade to 4340 31spline shafts and a full case locker, otherwise, don't waste your money on it.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic

Older 28 splines are narrow, the versailles rear ends are the same diameter as 31 splines, only 28 splines.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
the two axles you just posted a picture of are both the same diameter 28spline shafts. The difference is the top axle is a big bearing axle, the bottom axle is a medium bearing.

So once again, If you are going to keep the small axles, I would use a lock-rite. If you want to upgrade I would upgrade to at least a 4340 31spline and use a detroit or an ARB.

Last edited:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic

here is a picture of the complete shaft. they both taper, just one less drastically than the other.

medium bearing (left) and big bearing (right)

91rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2002
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv and sohc
Transmission
Manual

Older 28 splines are narrow, the versailles rear ends are the same diameter as 31 splines, only 28 splines.
um idk if anyone realized this and i know its an old post but i just had to put it down in your sig. 5.5+1.5+3 does not equal 11":icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals