• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Replacement Catalytic Converter

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi all,

Looking for the best replacement cat for my '85 Bronco II.

Any suggestions?

My stock cat is rattling pretty bad while running.... Think it is about time to replace it.

I would love to do all the work at home and avoid paying a muffler shop. I might replace he whole system from the cat back while I'm down there. (current set up has rear exit and you hit you leg on it while you're getting stuff out of the hatch) I know Rock Auto has a cheap tail pipe from looking around. It will all have to be bolt in for now.... No welder available.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As I'm looking online, I find cat's that have have a place for a inlet or something, is this for fresh air from the air pump? I know I currently have an air/smog pump and it's hooked up, but the cat that is currently in the B2 doens't have an air inlet or anything like that. Just a flange from the y pipe and a welded mid pipe that goes to the muffler.

Attachments

projectRanger93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger STX
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75-R15
Have you check what rock auto offers?

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you check what rock auto offers?
One of the above pictures is from Rock Auto above and it has the intake. The other is from Walker (rock auto sells there tail pipe, but not there cat for some reason....)

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We used to buy some from Napa and some from Autozone, I think they were all Walkers. The easiest ones to install are the "direct fit" line, they also offer a universal you-weld-it cat but you need good inlet and outlet flanges and in NH they're usually rotten.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As I'm looking online, I find cat's that have have a place for a inlet or something, is this for fresh air from the air pump? I know I currently have an air/smog pump and it's hooked up, but the cat that is currently in the B2 doens't have an air inlet or anything like that. Just a flange from the y pipe and a welded mid pipe that goes to the muffler.
Yes, that little port is for a hook up to the AIR system. Some vehicles with AIR had it going into the exhaust manifolds, some to the cats, some had both with a series of vacuum solenoids to switch between the two.

I'm not overly familiar with the 2.8, but I thought it only had it run to the manifolds.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not overly familiar with the 2.8, but I thought it only had it run to the manifolds.
Now that I think about it, when I had the trans out I think i did see it on the manifold. Makes this cat swapping part easier. I think I'm going to buy a cat and a muffler online and take it to a shop to weld up. Seems like I can get a cat and muffler for 100 bucks or less.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals