• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best size lift?

rangerkid98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 ranger and i'm looking to lift it to give more clearance and stuff. Anyone have any thoughts on what size lift is the best? It's a daily driver that'll be wheeled on the weekends. I don't want it to tall that it looks like its about to roll over and I dont want massive 35's on because i'll be driving it in town so i'm looking around 31's. any suggestions?

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I was you I would do like a 3 inch body lift or the washer lift. When I did my swap I first had only a 3 inch body and with 31s I thought it looked pretty good. I just wanted to be able to see over everyone while driving lol. Im doing the washer lift tomorrow hopefully before my alignment

rangerkid98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
eh i dont know im not that big into body lifts. I need new shocks and stuff anyways so i'm pushing more towards a suspension lift. it cost more but i'm just paying for parts and not labor ha.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
massive 35's... I remember those days...

6" lift and 33's, lotsa room to flex and will fit 35's later with a coil spacer and a lil work.

Skyjacker and James Duff make the best stuff, from there it's a crapshoot...

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
massive 35's... I remember those days...

6" lift and 33's, lotsa room to flex and will fit 35's later with a coil spacer and a lil work.

Skyjacker and James Duff make the best stuff, from there it's a crapshoot...
+1. Skyjacker 6" Lift is the best option pretty much. With extended radius arms and new leafs for max flexibility...

For a bit of savings, a 4" lift will do the trick with room for flexibility on upgrading it later. If you are not satisfied with radius arm drop brackets and blocks/add-a-leafs in the back, you can add long arms and change to 64" chevy leafs or something down the road.

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I put my 4 inch suspension lift on I though my 31s were a little too small and had to run a 33. Then I put my 3 inch body back on and was able to clear 40-15-15s which I doubt you want to do. If you dont want it too big and no body lift just do a 4 inch suspension then. I dont want to tell you what to do Im just sharing what I did. If you look at my pictures you can get a rough idea on what you want.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Try the James Duff 3" stage 1 kit if you want to stick with your 31's. A 4" lift with 32's seems to look real good. A 6" lift with 33's is about just right too.

I don't like body lifts either.

I think 31's will look way to small with a 6" lift.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I suggest the 4" skyjacker lift because it is the same brackets as the 6" kit, so you can upgrade to bigger coils when you realize you wanna run 33s and get flexy.

rangerkid98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
eh i'm not really big into 6 inch lifts. I've driven a couple and when I'm off road they seem like there about to roll over and all the ones I have seen end up not being able to do a lot because they'll roll. I'm thinking either a 3 inch with 31's or a 4 inch with 32's but i'm not sure if my 3.73 gear ratio is good with 32's. anyone know if that's fine or if i'd have to switch to 4.10's for 32's?

homegrownranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those are the gears im running now with 35s. With a 32 I would think they would be fine. I have to slip the clutch to take off a little bit but nothing major. With my 35s I haul a double axle trailer all the time. Every one on here will probably tell you to regear at least thats what they told me. I checked my mileage yesterday and got 16.7 mpg. Its not good but with what I have its not bad. The rough country lift on mine I dont care for cause it always feels like its going to roll over even with wide tires and huge offsets.

rangerkid98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
hah yeah I still havent fully decided on if i'm gonna do a 4 inch and 32s or 3 inch and 31's. it'll probably depend on how much more 32s and a 4inch would be. and how do you like your rc lift? My friend has one and he loves it. Its cheap and he hasnt had any problems

rangerkid98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
damn I actually have 3.27 gear ratio. That sucks

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my honest opinion, 3" body lift, and call it a day, you can get a 3" body lift installed (parts and labour) for cheaper than the parts OR the labour on a suspension lift (one worth buying)

honestly, for my truck, not sure about your front drive setup, but for my truck, there isn't really a huge benifet to the suspension lift, you don't gain travel, and will wear out your front driveshaft much faster...

3.73's and 31-32's are FINE! i run 33's on my truck, with 4.10's and have more than enough torque

rangerkid98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no worries man

i've got a 3" body lift on my truck, and i was once like you, anti body lift, but then i found out that the frame on the rangers are quite well tucked up, compared to the clearance under the diffs, and such, and you gain a huge amount, by merely putting larger tires on... the frame isn't in the way, however, the body is in the way of bigger tires...

most suspension lifts, for ifs trucks, move the whole front dif down, the springs down, and puts a bracket in there... it doesn't do the same as bigger springs, for travel...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals