• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BlackBII's white ranger

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I already told turbo91xlt that he could have them so if he doesn't end up wanting them, you can have them. :icon_thumby:

Aren't you doing a solid axle swap anyway? And, do you have a 2.3 4x4 transmission?
Yeah, If he ends up not taking them, I want them :icon_thumby: And the solid axle probably isn't going to happen. After mocking it up for my brothers truck, the amount of lift needed is more than I want, and he will have to run at least 33's to make it look right, which is his plan anyways. I like my current height and 31's, plus the poor 2.3 wouldn't work for my daily if I went bigger on tires. So I'm thinking just crossmember swap, Dana 35, 4-6 inch lift and removing the body lift. Solid axle and what not will be saved for a dedicated rock crawler in the future, when I don't need it for a daily :headbang: I've got a spare 2.3 2wd tranny already, I'm just needing a 3.0 4x4 to swap the guts and tail housing. If you don't already have plans for your 2.3 4x4 tranny, I'd take it off your hands for ya! haha

Who knows, maybe after seeing you do the 4.0 swap it might change my mind haha

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, If he ends up not taking them, I want them :icon_thumby: And the solid axle probably isn't going to happen. After mocking it up for my brothers truck, the amount of lift needed is more than I want, and he will have to run at least 33's to make it look right, which is his plan anyways. I like my current height and 31's, plus the poor 2.3 wouldn't work for my daily if I went bigger on tires. So I'm thinking just crossmember swap, Dana 35, 4-6 inch lift and removing the body lift. Solid axle and what not will be saved for a dedicated rock crawler in the future, when I don't need it for a daily :headbang: I've got a spare 2.3 2wd tranny already, I'm just needing a 3.0 4x4 to swap the guts and tail housing. If you don't already have plans for your 2.3 4x4 tranny, I'd take it off your hands for ya! haha

Who knows, maybe after seeing you do the 4.0 swap it might change my mind haha

Yeah man if you want the 4x4 2.3 trans you can have it. I have a 1350 too if you want that as well. Hell, you can have my engine too if you want it. It has a new clutch, flywheel, water pump, etc. It does burn oil though; I think it needs rings or valve seals. :icon_thumby:

I have some 5.5 Superlift lift brackets and coils if you want those, you'd need shocks and radius arms though. I was going to put the 5.5" lift on my truck but I only want 4" or so, since I have a 1" body lift on my truck now.

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you do the 4" lift are you gonna run new 4" springs? If so, I'd probably buy the coil spacers off you too if you're not gonna use them haha.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
If you do the 4" lift are you gonna run new 4" springs? If so, I'd probably buy the coil spacers off you too if you're not gonna use them haha.
I'm planning on using some Skyjacker 134's, which are 4" lift coils but reportedly they only give about 3" of lift. So, I might end up using the coil spacers as well as the coils. We'll just have to see how it works out.

If I don't end up using them then they're yours. :icon_thumby:

Dprocks100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hell yeah man! I totally want that tranny. Just let me know when you got them pulled out and we will make a deal. Might be interested in the t-case and engine as well. My goal was to get the tranny and t-case figured out and installed by the end of the summer, so I'm in no rush for them, just let me know:headbang:
I think I'll pass on the lift brackets for now though, not quite sure where my plan is going with the front end. I kinda just want a transfer case to give the truck low range, and see where that puts me for total 4x4 swap.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Hell yeah man! I totally want that tranny. Just let me know when you got them pulled out and we will make a deal. Might be interested in the t-case and engine as well. My goal was to get the tranny and t-case figured out and installed by the end of the summer, so I'm in no rush for them, just let me know:headbang:
I think I'll pass on the lift brackets for now though, not quite sure where my plan is going with the front end. I kinda just want a transfer case to give the truck low range, and see where that puts me for total 4x4 swap.
Okay. I'll let you know once it's all pulled. I probably start on it in the next few weeks.

I might end up using the 5.5" brackets after all with some 136's. We'll see. :icon_welder:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Ordered some Skyjacker 136's. They should net me about 4-5" of lift which should work with my Superlift brackets. Going to make some extended radius arms to go with it.

I'm probably going to run 32x11.50's and I am thinking about going with the factory look and getting Outlaw II's in a 15x10 with Ranger hub caps.

What do you guys think? It's that or just black wheels.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been bouncing between them and the Bajas.

Neither have the holes in them from AR to mount Ranger hubcaps so you have to drill those.

Biggest downside for the Outlaws is the rivets. My current sawblades have the rivets too... they are a PITA to clean around.

Bajas are a popular semi period correct upgrade and look similar to the FX4 Alcoas.

I do not care for black wheels.

If you have a D35 you might go with the later black center caps to go with your gray lockouts instead of the red ones that went with the red/pink D28 lockouts.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah I'll have to drill and tap some holes, no biggie. I saw the black hub caps on ebay but I'm not sure how they will look on the machined wheel. Seems like the chrome ones might look better.

I have Warn hubs on my D35, but I can always paint them to look like Dana28 hubs. My truck did come with a Dana28 after all, being a 1989.

The Baja's are nice, I saw those along with the Pro Comp ones. I think I like the Pro Comp ones better, and, a polished wheel will hold up better than a clear coated one.

I just love the factory look. Those STX decals can be had on ebay for about $200, but I would need to paint my truck first. That won't be for a while.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your truck had the 4.0 from the factory it would have had the D35 :secret:

I am one of the pricks that always has the weights put on the inside of the rims too, I think that is about the biggest thing that screws rims up (for a pavement pounder/mudder anyway)

I would love to find a STX grille guard, rear bumper and/or rollbar.

I hear you on the stock outlaws, in my "truck that Ford should have made" quest they are up there because similar rims were an option on slightly newer trucks (I don't care for the alloy options for '85)

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah a factory 4.0 and Dana 35 would have been nice. My truck came a year too early though; 1989. So I've been upgrading it to what I want. I thought that the 2.3 would suffice but it's just too low on power, even with 4.56 gearing so that's why she's getting a 4.0

Good luck finding anything STX that's not rusted to all hell. I have seen a few in junkyards and the bumpers are always swiss cheese. Perhaps in Arizona or west Texas you'll find one.

I'm going to get the black flappy mirrors too. The chrome ones I bought are garbage. They are already rusting. :annoyed:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to get the black flappy mirrors too. The chrome ones I bought are garbage. They are already rusting. :annoyed:
1qaz found NOS mirrors for his. I have wanted to (one of mine is dented) but I have refrained from buying aftermarket ones for mine. Probably outta snag a pair of NOS ones while I still can...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162298&page=3

Swiss cheese or not STX stuff is not common around here, I don't think I have ever seen anything in a yard yet.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have been watching his thread for years. Love his truck and what he is doing.

Yeah don't get any of the cheap aftermarket mirrors. I figured the $50 ones I got on ebay would be good enough for a wheeling truck but nope, they're trash. LMC Truck probably has some. No idea of they're any good.

If I see anything STX that isn't in terrible shape I'll let you know. :icon_thumby:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just love the factory look. Those STX decals can be had on ebay for about $200, but I would need to paint my truck first. That won't be for a while.

I love the '89-'90 STX decals ever since I saw a '89 black/black decal factory one in the junkyard (the truck I pulled my "High Rider" lift off of) :drool: Unfortunately the ebay decals are mono-color without the oem style "fading" that made the stock decals look so good :( I'd have a vinyl decal shop make up more accurate ones to install.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Unfortunately the ebay decals are mono-color without the oem style "fading" that made the stock decals look so good :( I'd have a vinyl decal shop make up more accurate ones to install.
It's funny that you mention that because that is the only reason I didn't buy some a year ago. He does sell the stencil though, so you could spray the stripes on.

I really wanted to do that exact color scheme; white with the faded red but with my truck being a trail rig prone to dents and scratches I figured it could wait and I just went with the f150 decals for now.

It looks like they lowered the price to $160. And the stencil is only $30. I might have to buy one just so I have it.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals