• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Blower Fan Motor works when it feels like it

rbrennec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have been checking out the threads here and around the net on intermitten blower fan. I have checked the relays, all good. Checked the connections, all tight and clean. Voltage has to be getting to the motor, which must be good, as it runs, some of the time. The other day it wasn't working. I opened the hood, checked everything again, turned fan on, no good. Closed the hood and it started working. Came out next morning, not working. Opened the hood, closed the hood, it started working again. Anybody got anything? Vibration from closing the hood? Strangely enough, the odometer which quit working a couple of years ago started working again on and off too. 1996 2.3L, est. 110,000 miles.

YZ250Rider23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the connector at the blower resistor under the hood. They have a tendency to rust out. Also have a look at the resistor, check for rust and loose coils.

rbrennec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
thanks, I will check it out.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Mine just started acting up...blows very low but not any other settings...checked the voltage to the fan == good...took the dash apart and replaced the light bulb...lol...at least I can see where the controls are now...

I went to the junkyard and tried replacing the fan...the other one did the same thing...so I think mine is in either the connector for power (seems to come on if I wiggle the connector, but doesn't blow high)...the resistor...or the control in the dash...

I did pick up another resistor pack and mashed the connector while trying to take it apart...also stabbed my finger with a screwdriver and now have blood all over the place...

I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be the dash control because they're hard to find for an 88...and the yard I went to today did not have any first gens...said he crushed the last one about three months ago...and doesn't plan to keep them around...I know where there might be one, but I'm going to try the resistor tomorrow...once the finger recovers a bit...

nate09

Reaction score
this happened to me and shortly after the motor quit. i do need to get behind the controls and replace the bulb yet.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Update...

I went to the junkyard to try to replace the blower...after an hour I pulled one that looked in good shape...when I connected it up it was dead...so I thought maybe something else and left it...

The other day was -10 so as I was chipping away at my windshield on the inside I thought I'd give the blower a whack...while whacking away, I noticed a little rubber tab near the top...so I pulled on it...and the blower motor started working on high...

I guess the insides get corroded just like the resistors...so now I want to take the blower apart and see if I can clean up the contacts on the inside of the housing...the fan still won't stay on, but if I go out and yank on the rubber it starts working...and sometimes stays running...

press 1 for english

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update...

I went to the junkyard to try to replace the blower...after an hour I pulled one that looked in good shape...when I connected it up it was dead...so I thought maybe something else and left it...

The other day was -10 so as I was chipping away at my windshield on the inside I thought I'd give the blower a whack...while whacking away, I noticed a little rubber tab near the top...so I pulled on it...and the blower motor started working on high...

I guess the insides get corroded just like the resistors...so now I want to take the blower apart and see if I can clean up the contacts on the inside of the housing...the fan still won't stay on, but if I go out and yank on the rubber it starts working...and sometimes stays running...

A brand new blower motor is only $40, why screw with finding or repairing a used one?

rbrennec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I'm back. the damn thing started working last Saturday do I left it. It ran ok for a almost a week, quit on Friday. Today I replaced the resistor, the old one was rusted. Put everything back together and nothing. Wiggled the connector plug to the motor and it started running. Unplugged the connector and blew the crap out of it with compressed air and it is still running, for now. Let's see what happens.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
A brand new blower motor is only $40, why screw with finding or repairing a used one?
Hmmmm...last time I did it was for a door hinge for my Tempo...I went in and told them I was with my friends garage and they charged me $25...if I wasn't a mechanic or with a shop the price was $100...since that time I have avoided them whenever possible...

Hi, I'm back. the damn thing started working last Saturday do I left it. It ran ok for a almost a week, quit on Friday. Today I replaced the resistor, the old one was rusted. Put everything back together and nothing. Wiggled the connector plug to the motor and it started running. Unplugged the connector and blew the crap out of it with compressed air and it is still running, for now. Let's see what happens.
:icon_thumby:

Almost always something simple...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Mine just started acting up...blows very low but not any other settings...checked the voltage to the fan == good...took the dash apart and replaced the light bulb...lol...at least I can see where the controls are now...

I went to the junkyard and tried replacing the fan...the other one did the same thing...so I think mine is in either the connector for power (seems to come on if I wiggle the connector, but doesn't blow high)...the resistor...or the control in the dash...

I did pick up another resistor pack and mashed the connector while trying to take it apart...also stabbed my finger with a screwdriver and now have blood all over the place...

I was kinda hoping it wouldn't be the dash control because they're hard to find for an 88...and the yard I went to today did not have any first gens...said he crushed the last one about three months ago...and doesn't plan to keep them around...I know where there might be one, but I'm going to try the resistor tomorrow...once the finger recovers a bit...
If you aint bleeding your not doing it right. To check the switch you need to check for resistance to ground. hot goes direct to the motor and the switch controls the ground to the motor so with a multimeter at the resistor connector hot with the key on goes thru the motor. Turn the key off and check the different positions for resistance to ground or hook a test light to hot and check the different positions.
org/blk high
lt/grn med high
yel/red med low
red/org low

rbrennec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well it worked all day Sunday, Monday morning not working again. Raining, need the defogger. Crap! back to the drawing board.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you know the resistor and motor are good I would check the ground to the switch and the switch connector. To check the motor at the resistor connector put a jumper wire from ground to the hot wire orange wire with the key on the motor should be on high.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If you aint bleeding your not doing it right. To check the switch you need to check for resistance to ground. hot goes direct to the motor and the switch controls the ground to the motor so with a multimeter at the resistor connector hot with the key on goes thru the motor. Turn the key off and check the different positions for resistance to ground or hook a test light to hot and check the different positions.
org/blk high
lt/grn med high
yel/red med low
red/org low
Thanks, but I just swapped it out with another one from a Gen III (97 I think) an it worked fine...it was corroded INSIDE the blower motor case...:icon_confused:

Well it worked all day Sunday, Monday morning not working again. Raining, need the defogger. Crap! back to the drawing board.
Yours is probably the same as mine...I wiggled and replaced all the wires and tested for power and everything pointed to the blower fan itself...

On your blower motor there should be three rubber tabs sticking out of the end of the motor...try pulling the one near the power plug and maybe wiggle it around a bit...if you hear the fan kick in, then yours is also corroded on the inside of the fan motor where the power connects to the winding or bushings...

If so, you may be able to take the motor apart and clean or resolder the connections if they are loose...you may need to replace the bushings if there are any (I can only imagine because although I was going to take the old one apart I threw it out...)...

May be easier to just replace the blower if it's corroded though...

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
mine works sometimes then wont but it was the plug. I stuffed the wires in so they put pressure on the plug and it hasn't quick working since. It kinda wedges the wires against the stuff in front and it puts pressure to hold the plug in, mine is missing one of the clips so that is why it comes loose. Good Luck!

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Mark, seems like blood loss is a common thing with that damn resistor connection. Dont think mine was ever pulled apart. 2 flat heads, vice grips and 2 bloody hands later I had mine out. unforntunately the corroded old one and new one I installed both worked haha. Now im searching for a new fix for my non working blower fan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals