• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bought ammo last night. Need a few more guns.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
First time in a really really long time. I always got my weapons and ammo from the state patrol.

I have a S&W 38 Special that I've owned for a long time. Bought some new ammo for it last night.

I'd really like to get a Sig P226 like I carried as a Trooper

http://www.armslist.com/posts/256019/dayton-ohio-handguns-for-sale-trade--sig-sauer-p226

and maybe a .380 for the wife.

I don't even know what the process is anymore for buying a handgun in Ohio.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i want a P226 as well. i can get a discount on sig firearms, i just havent had the funds yet. i may use my tax return for it, but i want an AR as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It isn't too bad over here as long as you stay in state.

Having a gun shipped over state lines and received by another dealer puts a big dent in any price advantage IMO.

I am wanting to get a pistol but then my truck needs an exhaust and some rust fixed, I would love to get a sportier car and heck it would nice to stop and get a house too... hard to decide where to divy funds though

Last edited:

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Hit the next gun show in your area Jim. I've worked Columbus and Dayton but that was a long time ago. Dealer against dealer with pressure on them to move merchandise means the best deal available to you.

If we ever get CC here in Illinois my 640 S&W will be the one. Hammer less SS .38. I've shot a LOT of semiautos and think Sigs are over rated for the price but as always, the best RELIABLE firearm is up to you!

I've got a couple cases of Nyclads stowed away for the .38.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hit the next gun show in your area Jim. I've worked Columbus and Dayton but that was a long time ago. Dealer against dealer with pressure on them to move merchandise means the best deal available to you.

If we ever get CC here in Illinois my 640 S&W will be the one. Hammer less SS .38. I've shot a LOT of semiautos and think Sigs are over rated for the price but as always, the best RELIABLE firearm is up to you!

I've got a couple cases of Nyclads stowed away for the .38.
When I was a Trooper, we had Beretta 40's, and I could always count on it to have at least (1) feed malfunction when I was on the range. The state switched to Sigs and the performance was flawless. Thus my desire to have a Sig.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When I was a Trooper, we had Beretta 40's, and I could always count on it to have at least (1) feed malfunction when I was on the range. The state switched to Sigs and the performance was flawless. Thus my desire to have a Sig.
the SEALs use the P226 as well. if they're good enough to kill bin laden, they'll be plenty good for me. they are expensive, but since i know someone, i can get one for less than $650 brand new.

UpStandingMember

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6
Transmission
Manual
I never liked the P226. Same with the Glocks. I guess I'm too old school. Give me a Colt or Kimber .45 automatic anyday.

Does your wife shoot? You might want to consider the Browning Highpower 9mm. They're not much bigger than most .380's, but they do have a little more punch. I'd have her shoot a few different handguns and see which ones she likes.

mattc113

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8"
Tire Size
37"
I never liked the P226. Same with the Glocks. I guess I'm too old school. Give me a Colt or Kimber .45 automatic anyday.

Does your wife shoot? You might want to consider the Browning Highpower 9mm. They're not much bigger than most .380's, but they do have a little more punch. I'd have her shoot a few different handguns and see which ones she likes.
i was the same way until i bought a glock. dont get me wrong, i still love my old colt 1911, and i have been looking at rugers 1911, but i love my glock 22.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Jim in all honesty do not waste your money on a 380 for the wife. They are only good up to maybe 10 ft if your lucky. Just get here a 9mm and she will be good to go.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I'm sure people would argue with me, but I'm not a fan of the 9mm. When I became a Trooper, we carried .357's. When we went to semi-auto, the patrol did a lot of testing and studying, and chose the 40cal.

Anyone seen a .38 semi-auto? Saw one listed in a local classifieds paper.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Beretta 96? Feed malfunction? Something was wrong with the gun. I've got over 3600 rounds through mine without any sort of issue, period, and the 92's are legendary for reliability.

Seems the only bad things I have ever heard about Berettas are from police, makes me wonder if there are subtle differences.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I'm sure people would argue with me, but I'm not a fan of the 9mm. When I became a Trooper, we carried .357's. When we went to semi-auto, the patrol did a lot of testing and studying, and chose the 40cal.

Anyone seen a .38 semi-auto? Saw one listed in a local classifieds paper.
I cannot argue with going with a .40 cal because I have one of those too. I like the knock down stay down power of the .40 w/o the collateral damage of .45 ACP. But then again I well placed round will stop anyone in their tracks. :icon_thumby:

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
First time in a really really long time. I always got my weapons and ammo from the state patrol.

I have a S&W 38 Special that I've owned for a long time. Bought some new ammo for it last night.

I'd really like to get a Sig P226 like I carried as a Trooper

http://www.armslist.com/posts/256019/dayton-ohio-handguns-for-sale-trade--sig-sauer-p226

and maybe a .380 for the wife.

Nothing wrong with a .380 for a ladies CC. Its all about ammo, check out the Bersa Arms .380 Thunder CC its a Bond Walther PPK clone. Use the Cor-Bon DPX ammo and it will do the trick, they are extreme deep penetrators and meet the FBI spec for 12"-16" with 2 layers denim and they leave a nasty wound trail.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have to edit that as not just a ladies CC. That gun, ammo and a cool head under duress makes the bad guys history wether your female or male. I have three girl friends that own them and have CC's with a 4th about to buy. I should stress that you only buy genuine Bersa clips for this weapon and they are a bit $ 25-35 bucks but if you shop less. The gun can be had for less than $300, they are excellent for not jamming but i would put 2-3 hundred rounds through it to settle it in and if you did get an early jam it would most likely be with the last 1-3 rounds in the clip. Once settled you can count on it more than most out there and with a CC it HAS to fire first pull period. They have different grips and extended clips for larger hands also. Alot of LEO's dig these as a back up.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I have a Taurus PT-111 9mm. A bit smaller than average for a 9mm, plastic body so it's light, and easy to conceal. I have 3 different holsters to use, depending.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals