• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake Pedal "Jumps" when pressed?

GreenRanger9096

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I've got a 96 4x4 4.0 and lately I've been having some trouble with the ABS light coming on. No biggy, but whenever the light comes on it is usually followed by my brake pedal "jumping" back at my foot, this has only happened so far when I'm under a heavy turn left OR right, and never when I'm braking straight.

What would be causing my Pedal to "Jerk" and my ABS light to come on?

Thanks. :headbang:

EDIT: I'd like to add that the "jumping" is in a rhythmic manner, almost like my ABS is effecting my pedal play?

Last edited:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the "jumping" you feel is the ABS pump pulsing and you feel the "feedback"

whenever you are braking hard while turning hard, the inside wheel wants to lock and the ABS is doing its job....

l8r, John

GreenRanger9096

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So what's the deal with the light coming on?

on some occasions the brakes even make odd squeels and clicks, I'm not reallly sure what the problem is, I've yet to find anything online to help.

GreenRanger9096

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Last night on my way home I noticed there is a slight squeal in my right front tire when I turn the wheel slightly left on the highway, it goes away whenever I'm going straight or right though.

Also last night I was almost home when my right front made an odd noise and then had a "Whirling" noise, like something was spinning, it was very loud, I pulled over got out and took a look, nothing seemed to be out of place, so I got back in and when I took off the truck wasn't making the noise anymore.

Going to rip the front wheels off after work today, will post back with findings if I can't fix whatever is broke! :icon_welder::icon_hornsup:

GreenRanger9096

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Problem turned out to be a bad wheel bearing causing the ABS sensor to have false readings when turned, Rotors were also bad and they were replaced.

$270 and 9 hours of parts hunting / tool hunting / wrenching time

Curtludwig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This can actually be DANGEROUS. When I first got my '03 when coming to a stop the ABS would activate in the last 5 feet from the stop and the truck would take maybe an extra 3 feet to stop. After I damn near hit a parked car with it I pulled the fuse for the ABS and drove without until I could get it looked at. In my case it was just a wire loose from a sensor which was enough to trigger the odd behavior but not enough to set the light...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals