• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken Arm Rest

Buck

Reaction score
The arm rest in my 96 Ranger has broken. It's the little clip on the top "lid" of the arm rest that has broken. So basically the lid won't stay shut. I remembered reading about a fix with the cap of a Sharpie marker. If anyone knows more or has a different fix please let me know. Thanks

shortwave

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the piece that broke off? If you do take it to a good body shop and they'll probably glue it on for free. Its more work to do the paper work for small stuff like that than to do the actual job itself.

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you can't get it glued you have a few choices.

1. remove the spring so it does not pop up
2. remove the lid entirely from the seats
3. remove and replace the lid with another one from the ford $300.00
4. purchase new or used seats

I decided to purchase from the junk yard 2006 ford ranger bucket seats for $300.00. I have written some topics so do a search on my userid if are interested in what I did.

Buck

Reaction score
I do have the piece and i've tried gluing it on before but it just keeps breaking. I this is actually my second arm rest lid. The one I have now was from a junk yard. I might just go with taking the spring out to save a few bucks. Thanks for your help!

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Let me know how you cut the spring. Because of the location its hard to cut or remove on a 2001 model.

ranger 93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi
I am the guy who did the sharpie marker cap fix and told others about it. I fixed mine 5 years ago and still working. It is an easy fix and total cost is the price of the marker. Plus the lid functions as it should. Let me know if you need pics.
Mike

Buck

Reaction score
I'd love to see some pictures as well. Thanks in advance!

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I took my lid off, saved the hinge, replaced the lid with a piece of aluminum diamond plate. I took a small piece of it , cut it to fit in the latch, cut a notch in it so it will latch and rivited it to the lid. A little rough on the elbow but keeps my stuff in and looks cool.

joemohio

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Here's a couple of pics of mine.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The clip isn't broken on mine, it is the fram of the lid itself. It still closes and latches just fine though, just looks wierd.

Haha, I love that dimond plate lid, I might have to do somethign liek that with mine! :clapping:
I know my dad has a big piece of diamond plate in our garage, it is steel stuff though, not aluminium. Think that will make much difference other than drilling? I really want to do that now...

Hawk1339

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FordFord
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've broken mine several times over the years... I glue it, and it breaks again before long. That is, until the last time, when I used PVC adhesive, the kind used for gluing PVC plumbing pipes together. That finally did the trick... fused that stuff together permanently.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals