• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken Mystery Wire w/pic

bobaloo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
I was having a problem with a VERY bad idle. I needed plugs and wires so I went for it. Well, it was better but still missing. I drove it for a day with fresh gas and some fuel treatment. Still was running rough so I started doing diagnostics. Used my EEC-IV code reader and it said nothing was wrong! I started checking connections. Now it won't start at all!!! I pulled the ignition module to have it checked and found the broken wire that came out with the harness that contains the lower plug for the module and the connection for the Crankshaft Position Sensor. The end of the wire was green and corroded but I can't find where it came from!
Yes I have fuel to injectors, but now NO SPARK!
1994 2.3L

Please Help!!!:bawling:

TIA

Last edited:

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
I just went out to my truck to look and if it is the same one I checked out, it goes into that same harness that the 2 wire connector on the left goes into. Mine is a bit more dirty though, so it's not as easy to tell.

illumastorm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 ranger
Transmission
Manual
i have a 94 , 2.3L, and i just checked on mine and guess what, mine is broke also. i peeled back the tape and plastic loom on the 2 wire connector and found where it had broke off. mine is all corroded and the wire is corroded pretty far up the loom, i also have some kind of aluminum tape stuff that is wraped around the wires and it has corroded. i peeled that stuff back till i got to the good area and spliced in a new wire. i have no idea what it goes to but the truck still ran fine before & after i fixed it. :icon_confused:

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The aluminum tape is sheilding. Its to minimize interference with the cmp/ckp sensors and the ign. module. You'll find the sheilding on most cars for the ignition system and its components. Otherwise the radio may interfere or the alternate could feed back. its precausionary but i wouldnt remove it accept to access the wires for testing/repair

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
That would be the interference limiting capacitor that goes on the ignition coil. Basically so that you don't get engine noise when the radio is on AM.

I drove around without it for a while and it ran fine.

As far as the no-spark, make sure all the connections are not corroded, no other wires are damaged, and most importantly, that the DIS module is securely fastened to intake manifold as it uses it as a ground. Also make sure the wiring to the coils is in good shape and the coils are fastened securely.

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
most importantly, that the DIS module is securely fastened to intake manifold as it uses it as a ground.
I was also told that it uses the intake for a heat sink. If something needs a heat sink, you should try to make sure it's secure to it to avoid burning it out. I didn't think about that when I posted my original post because it was really late.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals