• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco 2 project for my son

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When I bought my '88 BII it had a 3-inch body lift and the body mounts/bushings were completely trashed (in addition to the body being misaligned on the frame). I replaced that with a 2-inch body lift and new mounts/hardware from Duff.

After replacing EVERY suspension bushing, I then did the complete Skyjacker system (1.5-2 inch suspension lift) and replaced the leaf springs with new ones (which needed the Skyjacker helper spring to properly level the ride height).

What REALLY chapped my backside was my camber was not even remotely in spec, even with 3-degree cams, after the install, which required my to buy their axle and radius arm pivot drop brackets, which was NOT inexpensive. While those brackets are part of the higher-lift lift kits I had to purchase them separately to get the alignment within spec.

Without double checking I'm pretty sure I'm running 31x10.5x15 KO2s and they look, fit and ride awesome. Now that the alignment is done I can literally drive on the interstate with a finger on the steering wheel; it's THAT stable and considering the extremely short wheelbase, smooth.

I live in the extreme SW AZ desert and I needed my BII handle on/off road equally well and although the path to where I am now wasn't straight, I wouldn't change anything I did to get to where I'm at now...
The body mounts on this thing definitely need some attention as I expected. I have a connection on some body mounts and I happen to have a full super lift that I pulled from a junkyard a few years back that includes the drop pivot brackets, extended radius arms, and the coils … not entirely sure I want to jack it up 4+ inches right away. So I think I’ll invest in the 1.5-2 inch kit like you were saying.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
FYI those body mount bushings were BRUTAL to remove; some of them are hydraulically fitted/pressed in at the factory and every YouTube video I saw to "remove them easily" didn't work; not even close. Using a large screwdriver to drive it out from the top, nope. Using fender washers and reverse threading a bolt to make bushing puller? Nope, and I wasn't using hand tools either, I had my air wrench maxed out and it wasn't budging.

How did I end up getting them off? The old fashion way with a Sawz-All and one of their "Torch" blades.

I got the hardware kit and mounts from Duff to go with a 2-inch body and it sits perfect on the frame now, especially considering the previous owner/joker had the body cockeyed on the frame nearly a full 1/2-inch from opposing front/rear corners.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Finally had the time to get a little more work done on this old girl.
Pulled the drivetrain today and found a fairly recent (2016) rebuilt transmission under it. Now to start cleaning, painting and making it look a little better under there!

Attachments

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Sold the transmission and the money is going right back into it!
Buying calipers and radius arm bushings and a few other small things! Every little bit counts.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
The body mounts on this thing definitely need some attention as I expected. I have a connection on some body mounts and I happen to have a full super lift that I pulled from a junkyard a few years back that includes the drop pivot brackets, extended radius arms, and the coils … not entirely sure I want to jack it up 4+ inches right away. So I think I’ll invest in the 1.5-2 inch kit like you were saying.
I say go the full lift right away. I ran the whole range with the Choptop in the first couple years that I worked on it. Stock, 2”, 3”, 5”, then added the 2” body lift and went from 31’s to 33’s to 35’s. It’s ridiculously capable on 35’s, even in 2wd if you have a packed limited slip rear or locked rear. Might as well skip to the end, lol. Even 33’s it was an animal off-road. People who don’t know these rigs have no idea how good they are. The wheelbase is about identical to a Jeep YJ wrangler. We just have a little longer body. And a few more creature comforts in the cab.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
sawzall is the general body bolt tool for anything over 6 winters of use where i am from

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Was able to find a little time to work on her some more. Got the engine on a stand, and got the whole Dana 28 ripped out. All of it came apart super easy! Gotta get the trailer cleared then I can tear the Mazda Navajo apart … little bit at a time

Attachments

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Sweet moving right along! I'm hoping to have the diesel in mine by next week. Any thoughts on who your going to have do the alignment on it?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In all honesty, either going to be elite tire doing it or I’ll do it myself…. Not sure yet lol

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Yeah, Ill probably need to get mine done, since its been sitting for so long and I have a much heavier engine in it now. The guy in priest river that did it last time, when i stopped there he was pretty rude and said hes 3 weeks out on work, and a he would only adjust toe on my ranger. He did a great job on the TTB in the b2 when i had him do that. I don't understand what his problem was with my SAS ranger. Idk Maybe he was upset i didn't call first. His shop is at his house. Idk still a shop and I stopped in mid day on like a Tuesday. so whatever. I haven't delt much with Elite tire but, ive heard good things. TTB is its own thing. Perfection and swabs both told me they wouldn't do it last time. lol In priest river and newport that is.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dude …. Give elite a chance …. They do custom lifts and works on that type of thing all the time.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Dude …. Give elite a chance …. They do custom lifts and works on that type of thing all the time.
Haha I will, if they will touch it, I think there the only ones that will, is what I was meaning. Ive heard nothing but good things. I just do all my own work so I haven't had a reason to use them.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Haha I will, if they will touch it, I think there the only ones that will, is what I was meaning. Ive heard nothing but good things. I just do all my own work so I haven't had a reason to use them.
Agreed. I usually do all my own as well but some things are meant for the pros lol

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Got the engine torn down most of the way. If I’m being honest here fellas I was a little nervous about pulling the heads because of what happened las time. Well in this case luck was on my side, and there are NO cracks and everything looks great! Crosshatching looks great and no scoring on the walls NOTHING!
I was able to teach my 15 year old how to do everything and what it all was. Kinda nice when they listen huh!?
Now for the cleaning and re sealing of everything after we get the crank pulley off and timing cover etc… Fingers crossed, everything is going good so far!

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool stuff man. It was 1983 last time I was looking in the top of an engine. It was a 300 Ford straight 6

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals