• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II died one day

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My BII with 4.0 died one warm day while at a stop light. It went down to like 400 rpm and idled rough there. Hitting the throttle did nothing. Then eventually it quit. You could start it and it would do the same. After sitting for a few hours, it started and ran fine. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this when it is intermittent like that. I have what I believe to be a leaking valve seal on Cyl 1 so it burns oil but I can't see that doing anything to cause this. I would believe it to be fuel or spark. My first guess would be fuel. Maybe the fuel pump is on the way out? Any ideas here guys?

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
When it died and would not start did you check for spark? It could be the pump goes on the blink some times. I had an 87 Z24 that would sometimes just idle no matter how much gas I would give it, 10 mins later it would run great. Turned out to be the fuel pump. A slow idle and then nothing sounds more like a fuel issue than spark issue.

Louis

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like fuel. Hard to say for sure though. Wait until it does it again and smack the bottom of the fuel tank a few times with a mallot. If that helps/worsens it, good bet the pump needs replaced.

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am having trouble disconnecting my fuel filter from the SS line going to the motor. The other end was fine. I remember changing the fuel line from the filter when I did my swap to 4.0 from a 91 Explorer. I am not sure if maybe the fuel filter is different from 91 ex to 89 BII and that's what is giving me the problem. I read the following link, I bought those plastic things but no help, there is no room. See my picture and let me know what you think.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11165&highlight=change+fuel+filter&page=2

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Your in for some fun, that is the wrong type of end plugged onto the filter, The way it came from the factory was a plastic end with a clip you slide out to get the line off. There are little fingers inside the end of that clip, to get it to release your going to cut that end of the filter off down to the tube part and hope you can get a tool in it to release the tube.

Louis

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's exactly what I thought. I was at ford today and asked to see a 91 explorer filter, it's the same as the 89 BII but with longer ends. So I bought the correct one so next time it will be easy. I actually have the tool, as soon as I went out to look in my tool box and saw the tool, I remembered using it on the Ex to take that line off when I swapped. So I will be cutting the filter off the access the end of the line to use the tool to get it off. Wish me luck.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well the worst that could happen is you might have to replace that line, I don't know if you have a pull a part close to you but here in columbia, sc that fuel line cost about 3 or 4 bucks.

Good Luck,
Louis

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the old off and the new on. Not sure if it fixed my problem yet, I didn't have time to go for a rip tonight but it starts and runs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals