• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bsg vs bsg

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, so I have been watching the 1978 series Battlestar Galactica and the 2004 reimagined BSG together and comparing them. I just finished the 2004 series but I am still watching the older one. I have watched both before but wanted to compare them side by side.

I have noticed a few things.

1) Ron D. Moore made lots of references and throwbacks in his version, something I do like. If you listen carefully at some of the most epic moment of the newer version you can hear a slightly remixed version of the original score playing.

2) The high points of the original story were all preserved. The sneak attack at the peace accord, the emergency escape, the need for fuel, the secret cylon mining operation, Kobol, Pegasus, the need to train more pilots. At some points you can even see old version Centurions and Raiders in the new version.

3) The original one seems very hopeful while the newer one is far more realistic, and they definitely reflect the time periods they were written in. the 1978 version was produced during the cold war and has a tone of hope and trying to make peace with cold, almost implacable enemy. The RDM version is full of terrorism, suspicion of those in your own ranks, the need to figure out who is with you and who will betray you. It is most certainly a product of a post 9/11 world view.

4) These people are far too lucky. Out of the ashes they manage to pull at least one mobile fuel refinery and one mobile farming facility that manage to supply the remainder of humanity from.

Finally, I have noticed that Lorne Green and his band of refugees were far to well adjusted. These people were a major interstellar power, 12 worlds, a powerful fleet, they intervened against one of the strongest powers in known space on behalf of other nations. Then in a single sneak attack they have their entire civilization shot out from under them, driven from their homes and put on the run with limited resources, a mere 220 ships, only one being a true military vessel, yet they don't freak out, they don't get mad, in fact the biggest actual eruption I can think of related to the loss of their civilization is when Apollo yells at Serina for signing up for flight training. That and some old people disapproving of a hooker.

By comparison the folks driven out in in 2004 are much more believable. They are angry, hurt, tired, hungry, and desperate. They shoot each other, they steal, cheat, lie. After the escape from New Caprica they flush 13 people out an airlock just because they were suspected of collaborating.

Thoughts?

TedMosby

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
When time changes the whole story changes and if you compare any other movie with it's previous version, there will be too many differences.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally, I have noticed that Lorne Green and his band of refugees were far to well adjusted. These people were a major interstellar power, 12 worlds, a powerful fleet, they intervened against one of the strongest powers in known space on behalf of other nations. Then in a single sneak attack they have their entire civilization shot out from under them, driven from their homes and put on the run with limited resources, a mere 220 ships, only one being a true military vessel, yet they don't freak out, they don't get mad, in fact the biggest actual eruption I can think of related to the loss of their civilization is when Apollo yells at Serina for signing up for flight training. That and some old people disapproving of a hooker.
That is how the heros usually are in movies of that period.

There was a miniseries on youtube of a newer version that came out last fall/winter. Caught the first two and then moved out into the sticks where I haven't hooked up internet yet and then saw the DVD of the whole miniseries at wally world. I don't know if it is a lead into to another reboot or not but as someone that hasn't watch any BSG I enjoyed it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is how the heros usually are in movies of that period.

There was a miniseries on youtube of a newer version that came out last fall/winter. Caught the first two and then moved out into the sticks where I haven't hooked up internet yet and then saw the DVD of the whole miniseries at wally world. I don't know if it is a lead into to another reboot or not but as someone that hasn't watch any BSG I enjoyed it.
They have been working on some other mini-series type two hour episodes that fit into the the timeline of the RDM version. They are supposed to be set during the time of the first Cylon war.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They have been working on some other mini-series type two hour episodes that fit into the the timeline of the RDM version. They are supposed to be set during the time of the first Cylon war.
Yeah it started in the middle of a war with robots, it appeared to not be going well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals