• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bugging Out / Survival

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Way to go you motorboating SOB! LOL!!

survivaldude

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I just reviewed five different 72 hours survival food kits here - -

72 hour survival kits review

possibly this can help.

IMHO have food and survival kit ready into grab and go bag somewhere near in case of emergency is a must for everyone who think about family safety. Responsibility, that how we call this.

Kind regards,
Survivalist Dude

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone see that old Gregory Peck movie, On the Beach?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I just reviewed five different 72 hours survival food kits here - -

72 hour survival kits review

possibly this can help.

IMHO have food and survival kit ready into grab and go bag somewhere near in case of emergency is a must for everyone who think about family safety. Responsibility, that how we call this.

Kind regards,
Survivalist Dude
i don't think spam has ever been so relevant before... :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was just going to give props for your use of "crick" everyone makes fun of me for that one, then you go and tell me i mis spelled silo.....
I didn't really say you misspelled it, just complimenting on creative letter useage. I honestly thought it was a neat way to spell it. :icon_thumby:

I think people are mostly going to be affected by natural disasters. If you ever get burried in a snow storm you can appreciate the ability of a 4x4 and the importance of having plenty of fuel in the tank and food on hand.
If you get buried in a good snow storm that 4x4 will do nothing but give you a false sense of security until you bury it out in the middle of nowhere all by your lonesome. A snowmobile or something that is made to deal with snow is the only way to go for that. Problem is older ones are problematic money pits and new ones are too expensive to sit around just until needed (and then they turn into an older money pit themselves)

We had a series of big snow storms two years ago, wheeled vehicles were pretty much worthless... they were clearing roads with full blown bulldozers after they got tired of digging out the regular snowplows and road graders. 4x4 or even 6x6 is worthless in a 10'+ drift. Even then it wasn't the end of the world, here in town it wasn't terrible. There were enough guys out there in the country with tractors and nothing but free time and a neccessity to feed livestock to get a path to the highway clear that most people were not stuck more than a couple days.

I think one big downfall of gasoline engines will be the gasoline we have now since it goes bad really quick. In the past I have seen pics of cars in German occupied countries during WW2 that were converted to run on gasified wood. I have seen a couple of these recently on TV shows and they are pretty simple. I remember during Katrina all the people on roofs,some of them dying of dehydration for lack of water that didn't have any idea they could've gotten drinkable water from water heaters and toilet tanks. I am a Christian so my beliefs do change the survival scenario a little bit but still it up to us to prepare. I had a neighbor who moved here who had a "Survivalist" group that I joined at around age 13. We had vets and a couple active Reserve Special Forces guys and trained like they do. Our purpose then was to survive when the nukes fell and then fight the Russians who might have come after until they killed us off,we even helped train the local ROTC and Army Reserve in mock battle....what a blast :)
If you knew how to do it, you could grow corn and store and distill it into alchohol which some engines can run decentish on (if the fuel system is set up for it and has higher compression)

Water would be easy to distill into pure water too.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
one time i drank flood water for 50$ as a bet, somehow i didn't get sick... well, if i had to do it again, i would of distilled water before drinkin it.. alcohol is a great idea, but my plans are to harness methane gas and compress it, still figuring how to do it first.. the biggest problem with alcohol is its very corrosive, home brewed tends to have lots of water in unless its like xxxxx...

John Smith

Reaction score
A few practical food tips..

Learn how to "sprout" most seeds...(beans, lintels, mung, alphalfa, peas, etc)
It will grow indoors out of site,
forever fresh...

also learn what =grows naturally locally wherever u are..good source

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds

also get a Berkey water filter...

and /or a antiradiation portable water filter..

Stock up on baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and alka-seltzer cold plus...

just do the best you can to learn what works wherever you find yourself...

get a little sun on clear sky sunny days (vitamin d)..the list goes on...

and if you find yourself in an area less than 300' abouve sea level...invest in a floatation device...may a late 80's OMC powered 2.3L Ford BAYLINER?...might as well float away in style...also makes for a good rv for onights if weather gets deep....Seriously...tsunami's are a part of our future i feel..at SOME point for SOME people...as we have seen....

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and if you find yourself in an area less than 300' abouve sea level...invest in a floatation device...may a late 80's OMC powered 2.3L Ford BAYLINER?...might as well float away in style...also makes for a good rv for onights if weather gets deep....Seriously...tsunami's are a part of our future i feel..at SOME point for SOME people...as we have seen....
Not sure how a little pleasure boat will take a tsunami, I remember seeing a bunch of those things either floating upside down or stranded inland after it is all said and done.

John Smith

Reaction score
Point well taken...

I was actually trying to balance the potential of tradegy a little bit...but now that i think about it..maybe some type of Zodiac/sevylor product..could be useful to navigate across a pond or lake or high water if taken with you on a bugout...

inflatable tahiti's/2-6 person rafts etc are popular fishing tools where i live... or just a personal inflatable fishing vest?...if nothing else..a life vest?...Actually it may be possible if you believe some of the maps floating around on the net...after a major quake some of us may find ourselves on an island..that is if we "made it to high ground"...it may be hard to take that super4004WD off that island...but a flotation device w/power could perhaps make the journey...if a journey is actually desired..

I agree with Jim, a "natural/(un-natural)" disaster is probably more likely...or at least one that God Allows....And incoming water at some point will be part of that for some of us I believe...then that's just part of my information belief...

Not sure how a little pleasure boat will take a tsunami, I remember seeing a bunch of those things either floating upside down or stranded inland after it is all said and done.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Bug Out Vehicle - Gas or Diesel? Which one would be easier to fuel later? I know you can find a heck of a lot more gas stations with gas than diesel. Of course, you'd need a pump & hose to get it out of the tanks.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Bug Out Vehicle - Gas or Diesel? Which one would be easier to fuel later? I know you can find a heck of a lot more gas stations with gas than diesel. Of course, you'd need a pump & hose to get it out of the tanks.
Diesel. It's a more abundant fuel as it is, and diesel engines can run on a wider variety of fuels, with little to no modification (depending on the fuel.) i'd even go so far as to say an older cummins, continental, or cat engine, with minimal electronics, not because of the emp thing, because eventually electronic parts will fail, when that happens the likelyhood of finding good replacement parts will be slim.

All that is in the "total collapse of society and civility" situation

John Smith

Reaction score
gasoline, flex, alcohol...

definately...and of course the necessary 12V/electric/manual barrell pump would also be on the basic needs list even for friendly use for your own personal above/below ground tanks when no power is available

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I think diesel is better, especially a simple mechanical injected diesel. While diesel fuel is not as common at inner city gas stations, if you're bugging out, you're sure to cross by many truck stops, farmers, and crops that could be turned into fuel just as easily as distilling to make ethanol.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
I live near a big city,There is no way I would get my family to the country.So my options are improvise,overcome and adapt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals