• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

built 4.0 ohv q's

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Anyone out there built their 4.0 as much as possible? Like cam, new pushrods, headers, upgraded tb,tb spacer, true cai? I just wana know how much their stuff is puttin out.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone out there built their 4.0 as much as possible? Like cam, new pushrods, headers, upgraded tb,tb spacer, true cai? I just wana know how much their stuff is puttin out.
Lots of people here have done can and headers. I've don't new pushrods and rockers but I wouldn't call it a performance mod. TB spacers are a waist of money. They wont get you anything. The zip tie mod on the throttle cable can get better throttle response if that's what you want. Cold air intake will actually suck up warmer air than the stock intake on these trucks a lot of the time. You could port and polish your intakes and heads for better flow.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of people here have done can and headers. I've don't new pushrods and rockers but I wouldn't call it a performance mod. TB spacers are a waist of money. They wont get you anything. The zip tie mod on the throttle cable can get better throttle response if that's what you want. Cold air intake will actually suck up warmer air than the stock intake on these trucks a lot of the time. You could port and polish your intakes and heads for better flow.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
I just know the pushrods would help get rid of the "tickyness" of the 4.0 I know about tb spacers lol. Its just so stupid. If anything it makes it reduces some of the air in. The cai does seem rather improbable. The stock airbox looks like it can't really be beat. I still see the occasional ****off with the air cone sitn right in the middle of the engine bay lol. Ill look into port n polish. I'm all about running smoother and more effiently

I was just seeing what people have done besides going to the 302 and just how much more tourque and hp they've gotten.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Comp cams makes two different cams for the OHV. A lot of times the tick can be caused by the lifters too. Thats the problem with mine im thinking since i already have delta cam rockers and pushrods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been to their site. For that money I could do the jd stage 3 lift. That or complete new exaust is gonna come first. I'm just tired of fixing previous owner abuse. Some people shouldn't be allowed to get behind the wheel more less touch a wrench

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Comp 422 cam, delta rockers, Smith bro pushrods, dual valve springs, headers, BBK tb, stock K&N filter replacement, snorkel(as close to a true CAI as you can get)and Accel coil pack with plugs gapped at .060.
That combination combined with lower trans gearing makes a difference on my truck turning 35's.
Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If I hadn't got an awesome deal on all that stuff, then I would have gone 5.0 swap and saved money.lol

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
There is ONE thing for which a TB spacer would be useful.

Several years ago I found a much "modified" Ranger and along with stuff that I thought was worth doing there was a TB spacer which I considered stupid, chuckled about it and moved on...

Later I realized there was a use for it... it would be a neat and elegant way to install a Nitrous sprayer bar on a 4.0... of course when I realized this and went back it was long gone...

AD

schaffer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So a k&n panel filter is the best way? I've seen countless cold air intakes and then the k&n intake,which is 200 bucks more than any other intake.

Thinking the panel filter is the best idea?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So a k&n panel filter is the best way? I've seen countless cold air intakes and then the k&n intake,which is 200 bucks more than any other intake.

Thinking the panel filter is the best idea?
Dont waste money on a cold air intake. If you want to be like the "cool kids" that run K&N just buy the filter. Personally, I wont ever change from paper filters. Too many issues with oiling too much and messing with the MAF and honestly i feel paper filters better.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Only reason I run an oiled filter is that they can get misted with a little water and still flow. I have had a few close calls with a damp paper filter sucking into the intake.lol

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's true. No one wants their intake sucking water like its a straw haha.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals