• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying parts for serpentine change... are these brands good?

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I need to change out my serpentine belt and I have all the part in mind for what I need, just want to double check and see what you guys think...

Serpentine belt- Goodyear gatorback
Idler pulley- Dorman
Belt tensioner- ? And suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys!

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Gatorback is one of the best belts, Dorman is a good brand, and no suggestions on the idler, mine is original...

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just need to change a cracked belt, but I figure I would change everything else while I was doing it. Ford says change the belt tensioner and idler pulley every 150k I'm at about 180k right now on my 98

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dayco or Dorman tensioner.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I didn't know there was an interval, but did take the time to squish some grease into the idler/tension adjustment bearings on my Vulcan. Made it so far.
The lima adjuster/idler got degreased by me when removing power steering fluid leakage from the engine compartment. I replace that as it was getting 'jerky', and would momentarily seize up, causing very quick 'chirps'. I didn't drive far after hearing those.
If anyone needs a tensioner/idler for a lima 2.3 EFI, the listing for 87-up may be the same FoMoCo part number, though the listings don't cross. Remove the old one, and find the OEM part number. Multiple sources are on the market, but none are listed for an 85, though they'll fit.
tom

Zoso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Dorman has a smooth pulley on the tensioner and I believe the stock pull is grooved with a lip, would this make any differeance having just the smooth wheel?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, grooved and smooth pullies run on different sides of the belt.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
An alternative to changing the tensioner or idler is to re-grease the originals.
IF the currently installed bearing is still smooth running, this process might increase the lifetime of your current tensioner/idler.
In most cases, the grease eventually dries out, and quits lubing the bearings. You may be able to disassemble the bearing, or at least remove the seal and clean and inject some new grease. Most seals are pressed into the sides of the bearing, into the outer race. They can in most cases be pried out of the bearing, and set aside while cleaning the bearings of old grease and 'whatever' has found its way into the bearing. Once clean, you can use wheel bearing grease, pressed into the race, bearings and separator to provide fresh lubricant to the bearings. Press the seal back in place, and re-assemble the idler or tensioner. The bearings are the only real 'wear' point in the idler/tensioner, so the rest should be fine.
If you have a removable tensioner pulley, Rock has one available that is the same as the tensioner for the 1985 model year, BUT, the assembly is made using a riveted 'axle', complete with a shoulder to position and square the 'rivet'. Removal and replacement would require a shouldered bolt, which is not available from my searching. The pulley and bearings are identical to the OEM. If you can remove your tensioner pulley, replacement of the pulley & built-in bearing are possible. You must have a removable 'axle' that the pulley rides on, or access to making one.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals