• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Buying. questions.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I am currently saving some money to get me another Ranger.:D I am looking for a 93-97 ex cab 4.0 4x4 preferably manual. I have a couple questions though.
Any specific advice or recommendations?
I was also wondering about when they changed over to the obdII diagnostic setup.
I also got to thinking about a/c. What years have the newer refridgerant? I would like to have the newer style(i forget the names) to make it easier(no conversion or anything required).
Also is there any distinctive features visually between the 3.0 and 4.0? People always list "v6" and i cant tell the difference.

I have rc lift brackets(for an 87) and am going to get the springs and shocks etc.. Will those brackets swap on to the newer ranger(ie d35)?

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing really to tell you, you have a ranger so you should know a bit about them. 1996 was the first year of OBDII, 1994 was the first year for R134-a refrigerant. the intake would probably be the best way to tell a 3L from a 4L. if you really want 4x4, get one with a 4L.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing really to tell you, you have a ranger so you should know a bit about them. 1996 was the first year of OBDII, 1994 was the first year for R134-a refrigerant. the intake would probably be the best way to tell a 3L from a 4L. if you really want 4x4, get one with a 4L.
I do know about Rangers, just thought if I am getting another I should ask the experts.:icon_thumby:
I wouldve thought that I could tell the intake difference, but its hard to tell in craigslist pics. Like does the throttle body face different ways etc.
Yes I definitely want a 4x4 4L. Just most people do not specify.
Im pretty sure the brackets will swap but would hate to find out the hard way, ya know?

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
The best sellers on CL will either list everything they can about the vehicle or be glad to answer questions. The ones that evade or give less that expected answers avoid at all costs. I have my 93 on CL right now and I may have over did the details but it's gotten me 25 responses so far.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 says 3.0 on the top of it. Your brackets will work

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The 3.0 says 3.0 on the top of it. Your brackets will work
Okay not saying your wrong, but I havent seen any 3.0 pics with 3.0 on the top. But more than likely i could have missed it ... many times

Awesome about the brackets tho. I just wanted to be sure.

EMB1230

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
now that i think about it, 3.0's have "3.0 V6" on either both or just the pass side valve cover. Oh, 3.0 has round intake ports, 4.0 has square intake ports. you could also look at the 8th digit of the vin, U is 3.0, X is 4.0.

Last edited:

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
most of the time the 3.0 will have it on the valve covers as mentioned above, also some have it molded into the radatior fan shroud

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ya I figured each engine would have badges on it somewhere, but its hard to tell in the pics. Just was hoping I could weed out the 3.0 posts instead of calling every one of them.:dunno:

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ObdII began in 95. My 95 b2300 was obdII.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Do you guys prefer the obdII because of the obvious diagnostic benefits, or is it beneficial to have less emissions, sensors, etc? Im assuming obdII would be better but maybe there are some benefits to not having it.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It has always been my opinion that OBD2 and the extra sensors has been worth it and it can save you some troubleshooting. I have OBDI in my vehicles and I wish I had a Warp Whistle to get to level 2. Also, I just recently converted to 134 because I have a 93 Ranger and that was frustrating. You may also want to consider that 93 and 94 have the older dash. So you either get older dash and OBDI, or you can get the newer dash and OBDI on the 95, or you can get the whole shebang with a 96 or 97.

87anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
177 c.i. 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
It has always been my opinion that OBD2 and the extra sensors has been worth it and it can save you some troubleshooting. I have OBDI in my vehicles and I wish I had a Warp Whistle to get to level 2. Also, I just recently converted to 134 because I have a 93 Ranger and that was frustrating. You may also want to consider that 93 and 94 have the older dash. So you either get older dash and OBDI, or you can get the newer dash and OBDI on the 95, or you can get the whole shebang with a 96 or 97.
converted to 134?
Ya I think I decided on a 95-97, depending on whether 95 had obdII. Seems to be differing opinions on this. I know that all vehicles switched over in 96, but some before...hmm

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will have OBD2 on my next truck. It's a hassle sorting out what's going on with OBD1, and I don't really want to go buy a scanner for it... Guess I baked my own cake there...

nutpantz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Obd2 is great. But vehicles with obd1 have less computer control. Less sensors, less everything. Reading the codes are free on odb1. Read the flashes of the check engine light after jumping the circuit.
You need a scan tool for odb2 (mine cost 15$).
Obd2 gives you more info.
Ford obd2 can be quirky with cheap scan tools.
Good Obd1 scanners can provide a lot of info but are harder to find used.

I personally don't think there is significant difference once you know how to read the codes or have the right scanner.I like simple but I also like more info...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals