• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

BW1350 TC slipping out of 4HI

Tberry

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all,

1985 Ranger 2.8L V6, A4LD transmission, BW1350 manual transfer case.

Goes into 4Lo from neutral and lurches pretty hard but no clunk. Not sure if normal because truck is new to me.

Going into 4hi it grinds a bit as I play with shifter then clunks in hard to engage. I can then drive and it works but if I let off the throttle it slips out of 4hi and I end up in neutral just revving my engine.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm not sure if maybe I'm doing something wrong or not.

Recently replaced TC fluid in an attempt to fix. No luck. Transmission fluid with filter is due this weekend.

Any help as to why it's clunking into, then slipping out of 4hi, is appreciated.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Should be no clunks or grinding during any shift (but do not shift into or out of 4 Low while moving!) You can shift from 2wd to 4 High at any time. If this is a 4 Low to 4 High shift, are you stopped, foot on the brake?

Look at this, might see if your shifter linkage needs to be adjusted, that COULD explain slipping out of 4 High...

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
On an 85, I'd bet the bushings on that shifter are looong gone. At least the one on the stub bolted to the transfer case. Possibly related to shifter issues.

That is a LOT bigger than I thought it was. I've never seen one before.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Need to be stopped and then shift Automatic to Neutral first, especially for 4low
Grinding or "clunk" means the transfer case gears are/were still spinning from automatic transmission being "in gear"

+1 on the shift linkage, the shift linkage holds the transfer case in 2wd, 4H, N and 4L
If it has "slop" in it then it can't hold it
This is all external linkage which is easy to inspect

Could be an internal issue, i.e. worn shift fork, but easy enough to check external first

If you have manual hubs then you can shift from 2wd to 4H and then back to 2wd while driving with no grinding, IF THE HUBS ARE LOCKED
No need to shift trans to Neutral as long as you are above 10mph

So leave the hubs locked all the time when you think you will want 4WD while driving, won't hurt a thing
With the hubs locked the front and rear drive shafts will be spinning at the same RPM, so transfer case gears will also be spinning at the same RPMs
So no grinding when you shift from 2WD to 4H or back to 2WD while above 10mph
4low always requires you to be stopped

Automatics "in gear" are always trying to spin the output shaft, so when stopped if you shift transfer case(its at 0 RPMs) the automatic will try to move the gears as you shift so grinding and/or clunk
Above 10mph the transfer case gears are already spinning(hubs locked) at the same speed as transmission output shaft, so no grinding when shifting between 2wd and 4h or back

Grinding or clunk means any gears were at different RPMs

Heads up
Locking hubs can need service, if only one hub is locking then no 4WD but also no RPM match so grinding
Front differential is OPEN type, so BOTH hubs need to be locked

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals