• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

C4 or C6 ???

seabeeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Manual
I got a 94 ranger 4x4, 2in body lift and a couple inches of lift, heres the build thread i started..

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113181

Trying to decide between using a C4 or C6. I have a 2wd C4 and the original tranfer case out of my ranger. I found a C6 online for sale (guy said C4 but doesnt look like it from the pic) its 4x4 and comes with a transfer case.

Based on those pics what transfer case could that be and whats the better choice?
Buying the adaptor for my C4 or getting this transmission and tranfer case combo?

fordmanms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The biggest thing you need to remember is what did the C6 come from. If it came
from a 360, 390, 400 or larger, it may not fit the engine. There are 2 different versions of the C6, Small Block and Big Block. The easiest way to tell if this is indeed a C6 is by looking at the oil pan. If it is square with a a corner cut out in a rectangular shape, it is a C6. You can refer to the Transmision guide here on the Ranger Station for identification. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AutoTrans.html. Although it does not list C6, you can get a good description for the C4.

If it was my vehicle, I would defiantely install the C6, put in a heavier planetary with a shift kit. C6 is much stronger (and bigger) than a C4 so you will need to be wary of clearance issues also especially in the body area.

As far as the Transfer Case, you may not have room between the rails to install this one.

Just a side note, small block C6's are becoming harder to find, so if this definately is one, you may want to snatch it up anyway. May have some value in it. Especially if this guy is selling it for the right price.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Biggest complaint about the 6's are that they are HP pigs. takes a lot to run them. A built c-4/5 will get you everything you need. True the C-6's are bullet proof, but if I had to do it again I would go with a 4.
P.S. Mine came out of a 1984 F-150 4x4, with the 351w. Had the 28 spline output so I was able to mate it to a Dana 20 T-case. Lots of variables with FORD stuff, so be careful.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a heads up, 3-speeds suck on the highway. I don't mean they are bad, but if your truck is geared to be fun at lower speeds the engine will be running RPM's that will suck down fuel with a vengance.

On the plus side, you can mess with people by saying your truck NEVER downshifts on hills. :icon_thumby:

seabeeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Manual
im not to worried about running this on the highway. my f250 already gets better fuel mileage then my ranger with a 2.3l. i dont get over 35 mph most days anyway goin to work and back home. I think ill hang onto my c4 and wait until i can find a adaptor in my area.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
The two trannys in the pic are C6's. C4's have removable bell housings and C6's dont.
C6 is a great trans but like what was already said they suck up the HP's to run them.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guessing by your location your in FL, check out tgwforums.com. I saw a guy selling a small block c6 with a tcase. Might save you on shipping:icon_thumby:

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There's a C6 in my 302 4x4 Ranger. Has treated me well after tons of beating and heavy hauling.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A good C-4 will probably outlast the stock TC, never seen any rating on how much they can take. Ford is using a built-up C-4 in their new Cobra Jets for the strip. Found a list of the HP requirements of different auto's.
Dave of the Nord

Power loss for various auto transmissions:
Please remember these are approximate values, and were provided by Car Craft Magazine.
Powerglide_____18 hp
TH-350________36 hp
TH-400________44 hp
Ford_C-6______55-60 hp
Ford_C-4______28 hp
Ford_FMX______25 hp
Chrysler_A904__25 hp
Chrysler_727___45 hp

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The two trannys in the pic are C6's. C4's have removable bell housings and C6's dont.
C6 is a great trans but like what was already said they suck up the HP's to run them.
Just me, but neither of those look like C-6's. The top one looks vaguely like an FE C-6, but it's really hard to tell from the angle. one of the top bolt bosses is missing half the boss. The bottom one looks to be missing the starter boss on the passenger side. Better pictures would tell.

seabeeranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Manual

heres another pic, i decided not to go with it anyways, too far to drive to get and i already get alot of shit for having our garage filled with parts for my truck. thx for all the info guys.

american

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 ford ranger
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 93 ford ranger with 5.0 and c6 transmission. What do I need to make the speedometer work

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did it come with the 5.0 and the C6? Does it have a cable?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
PA transmissions builds a C4 that will handle 1000hp. C6's were good transmission but they're bigger, heavier, and use up more power than a C4. I prefer the C4 and that's what's behind my 351.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals