• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cab Fogging

ubersku

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all. Just clunking along in the 1990 std cab, 2.9 V-6.

Had the engine core replaced after my son cracked the case last year! The compressor is not hooked up right now because the last owner broke the collector. Anyway, here in Oregon it rains a bit. Maybe you've heard! I haven't had any real issues in the first 500 miles with the new core.

Last Thursday driving to work, all of a sudden, the cab begins to fog and I can smell coolant. Schlitz! :shok:

So I am guessing my heater core sprung a hole. No leaks onto the mat that I can see. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

I hear the heater core is easy to replace. Hope so... if that's the issue.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
That does sound like a heater core. If it's like my old 1991 it's an easy fix. Unhook the heater lines in the engine compartment and remove a few screws up under the passenger side dash and it drops right out. With your A/C compressor not in use you won't get the full defrost/defog effect, since it's the dry air that does most of that, but you'll be able to at least get some warm air to the windshield.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Yes its your heater core. Had it happen in my 84 B2 last year. Heater core was like $30 and took maybe 10 minutes to replace. Took longer to get the air bubble out of the coolant system afterwards and get the coolant flowing again through the heater core, but overall wasn't too bad except it was about 2 below zero.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals