• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cab Visor fitment: roofline differences between 3rd, 4th, and 5th gen

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the deal.

We all know that Lund used to make a windshield visor for the 98+ rangers but since discontinued said product. Well, I'm looking for a cab visor for my 2005 because I like the looks and the winter it keeps the frost from consuming the entire windshield in the morning. When I owned a 93 4x4 I installed this cab visor sold through summitracing...

It fit surprisingly well and did its job. But, I should have taken measurements of the cab and visor before installation because now I need to know this. If possible (minor trimming or fitting) do you think this visor will fit onto a newer gen ranger? I'm trying to look up windshield differences and cab width differences. I've searched for differences between the doors (primarly how it curves or transitions from roofline to the pillar) all in hopes of finding a definitive difference or similarity with no luck.

Anyone who happens to own both a 3rd gen and 5th gen ranger it would be much appreciated if you could take a simple measurement of cab width above the windshield where the visor would mount. I see a lot of posts inquiring about a cab visor for newer rangers and I'd be willing to write up a document for the tech library for future guys if this works out.

Thanks!

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
I've got a '93 and an '06 and i'm about 98 4/5% sure they're the same. I'll measure when i get home.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a '93 and an '06 and i'm about 98 4/5% sure they're the same. I'll measure when i get home.
You the man! I appreciate it. Someone who can dial in their answer to be 98.8% correct :shok: surely knows their chit. I'm lucky if I hit 50% most of the time :yahoo:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
It's dark and raining but both measured 50" from outside of A pillar to outside of A pillar. I'd have measured more for you but its cold and raining.....

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I think that was the critical measurement. Everything else appears to have the same curvature comparing pictures online (or its so close I can't tell). I've got a few other goodies on the list that take priority but I have added the visor to the list of things to do over winter.

Thanks!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had one on my first Ranger...it was OK, but the guy who installed it or as an after effect from wind and vibrations...the mount points leaked and my A-pillars became crumbly rust as well as the firewall...leading to a required cab swap...

I'm hesitant to consider doing it on this cab due to an added means of moisture and salt to enter inside and do damage...

If it is sealed good and secured it shouldn't cause problems...

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
My last one I ended up pulling the head liner down and using short bolts with a 1/2" head (so I could re use the painted caps) and fender washers on both sides (fender washers painted to match truck's color). I used some gasket maker around each hole inside and out. Never had an issue with water and I wasn't scared it would get ripped off when I semi-truck passed me. lol Its more time consuming this way, but I'd most definately do it again.

I have seen the stock "sheet metal screws" that mount the visors and they make me uncomfortable. I seen a visor get ripped from a full size van on the interstate a few years ago.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
If you really wanted it to look super cool, be securely attached, and leak proof, you could form one from sheet metal, weld it, blend it, paint it, and it would look like it's just part of the cab.

Can't say i've ever seen it on a ranger but i have seen it done on a dodge 1 ton and it looked pretty freaking sharp.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
If you really wanted it to look super cool, be securely attached, and leak proof, you could form one from sheet metal, weld it, blend it, paint it, and it would look like it's just part of the cab.

Can't say i've ever seen it on a ranger but i have seen it done on a dodge 1 ton and it looked pretty freaking sharp.
Hell ya. If it was a project I'd take it on but a daily driver I'd have to strip it down and pay a coat of paint after the fab work. Not saying it can't be done or I can't do it... I just couldn't do it in a weekend.

Burnt2Death

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Automatic
So the overall census is that the older gen visor will fit on a newer ranger? I can purchase one and was just double checking the end result here quick. Thanks.

Muscleford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My son found and bought a new Lund Moonvisor and installed it on his 2009 Ranger and it fit perfectly and all instructions were perfect also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals