• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cam Suggestions

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I ended up just ordering a set of springs for the gt40’s. Planning on stick a comp xe258 in there for the time being.

Tech-man

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306,Expy intake, GT40 heads, valvetrain is TFS stage 1, TRI-Y's & Magnaflow, AOD-E
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5"
Tire Size
245/45/17
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam, and the Trick Flow valve spring kit to go with it. This cam will require +.300 length pushrods(opt for hardened one-piece set), also from Trick Flow. Springs are compatible with factory cast iron heads. Easy install, no tune needed, will run on stock tune and drivetrain. Keep it simple for best results!

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well the xe264 is what I wanted so that would put me at the xe258 lol. This truck won’t ever see 5500rpm I doubt.
Get the 258. It os an excellent cam with really good low & mid range power. No springs needed if you aren't racing it.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I got it, the one with more lift. Came in Saturday just waiting on the springs to get here. Going to try & get it in this coming weekend.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I started disassembling yesterday, only had a little bit of daylight. I got the radiator out & the coils/plug wires. I’m at the fire department today so I’ll get back on it tomorrow. I also picked up a ported lower to put on while I have it apart. I have new water pump, timing set, harmonic balancer, plugs, valve cover gaskets, timing cover gaskets/bolts, cam sensor, coolant sensors, intake gaskets, valve springs, stem seals, cam, pushrods, pcv valve/grommet. Think of anything else?

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Little update. Progress has been slow. Pulled the fan, managed to snap 3 lower intake bolts. The rear one broke flush with the lower but held on to it like its life depended on it. I basically had to go at the casting around the bolt & chip it away & it finally let go. I have 2 studs showing but one on the front snapped off flush. I have an induction heater on the way so hopefully I can get the 2 showing out with it. The front one is going to have to be drilled. Plan to heat each bolt on the timing cover to red hot & let cool before I even attempt to remove those. Any suggestions or tips I’m all ears.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I only had one intake bolt break off but like one of yours it was flush with the top of the intake, I had to pry the intake manifold off carefully then drill out the hole from all the rust in it... if I remember right I hammered on the stud that was left, applied heat to the head, penetrating oil and all the things then was able to turn it out, I might have welded a nut to it or something, I know I did on the water pump bolt that was stuck in the timing cover...

In short, heat, penetrating oil and hammering...

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Bigmatthew86
If you have a ported lower intake manifold, it will be of great value to have your heads ported to it. There is nothing worse than hitting a flat wall in the airflow path (moving from an enlarged port, to a smaller different shaped port).

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Made a little more progress. Front 2 intake bolts I was able the get out. The driver rear wouldn’t, I ended up having to drill/tap it & I’m pretty confident in it now. Got the water pump off & had 1 bolt break. It held the timing cover for dear life & it took drilling it, hitting it, PB’ing it & finally was able to get the timing cover off. I still have some stud sticking out so I heated it really good & then soaked it in PB. I’ll do the same again tomorrow & hopefully I can get it to turn loose. Then I guess it’s time to start swapping valve springs. As far as the intake & heads, I really don’t want to pull the heads now if I don’t have to. The manifold I got is actually a factory lower but it’s the one with larger ports. Think casting AA vs AB. I’ll set a gasket on it & the heads & see what it looks like.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Getting there slowly. Got the old cam out, new one in, new timing set on, & all the springs. Waiting on new pushrods & I can start bolting it back together.

IMG_3314.jpegIMG_3313.jpeg

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Timing cover, water pump, harmonic balancer, & ac condenser back on. Still waiting on pushrods. Praying it doesn’t leak. Used felpro gaskets with blue gasket dressing. Also opted to buy a 1 piece oil pan gasket & cut it to match the timing over vs using the cork. Used the right stuff in the corners. Also used anti seize on the bolts & torqued to spec.
IMG_3319.jpeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Please keep us updated! I've been eyeballing that cam for the 5.0 swap I wanna do.

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Started it yesterday. Started easy & sounded good. Found a little leak around the coolant temp sensor so shut it down. I’m at the fire department today so hopefully I can address that tomorrow.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you go with the 258 or 264?

Bigmatthew86

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I went with the xe258-12. I’ve driven it some but still working out a few bugs. I really haven’t punched it yet. It does seem to pull a little stronger as the rpm climbs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals