• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can I run 4wd on highway?

86ltrain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to the forum, you guys have alot of very useful info on here...I like the Tech Library...Anyways i've owned many 4wd's but have read that you are not supposed to run these Rangers at highway speeds in 4 wd? It never hurt any of my other trucks. I'm in the process of buying a '93 w 4.0, 5spd manual, elec shift 4 wd...I live in northern MN so I do need 4wd on-road occasionally, never dry roads of course Whats your opinion?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS!

I don't see a problem with what you're talking about so long as your gearing and tire sizes are the same.

Enjoy the site!

Allen

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
It's dry pavement that hurts it.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
You can run it on 4x4 High at highway speeds, as long as there is sufficient slippage. You don't want to be in 4x4 when the road is dry. You are supposed to be able to shift on the fly at any speed up to 55mph.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
And the "up to 55" as far as I know is becuase even the slightest turn of the steering wheel at higher speed, can cause the gears to not mesh right when it engages. It may be very slight, but enough to cause the 4wd shift to not work, and grind, or what ever it may do.

Personlly, I think, if you need 4wd, you shouldn't be going 55. Just my oppinion though. 4wd is for bad conditions. High speeds are not for bad conditions. That's what I believe and I will go by it.

In order to shift on the fly, you need the hubs locked in proir to shifting right? Like, lock them in when you leave on a trip and if you need 4wd, then you can shift in while moving? Otherwise, the front drive parts are not spinning and will have to start moving FAST right?

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
well u also gotta think about how all-wheel drive systems work. im not exactly sure how similar they are to 4wd(maybe a different type of transmission) however, if u run open diffs, u should be ok.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, the reason not to use 4WD above 55 MPH has nothing to do with gears meshing.

The reason is that a part-time 4WD system guarantees that at least one wheel slips on turns, and this really is not a good thing at high speed.

jpeters1

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My 94 ranger was running at 4wheel drive on the freeway for a road trip because the electric shifter is messed up and the hubs got so hot all of the wheel studs on the front passenger side sheared off except one all at once going 80mph downhill. The studs broke off 1/2" inside the disk brake hub. Only thing holding the tire on was one lug and the warn hub. the bearings barely turn now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals