• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Canister filter leak

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
87 Ranger STX 2.9. My canister is leaking, I guess the damn O-ring fell apart or something, I havent taken it off yet to check it. I did put some epoxy around the seam which held for about 3 weeks then started leaking again. Is there any reason I cant take the o ring from an 86 fuel filter and put it back into the canister to stop the leak.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
pretty sure the threads & diameter are the same.
you can give it try and see if things seal up....but as with used O-rings...don't be suprised if it doesn't.

Make sure the lower portion of the canister doesn'thave hairline crackes. I also used a JB-weld product made for tanks, water and gas....it is a puddy stick and you work it into a consistant color. Works pretty good...but I wouldn't put anywhere that need to come apart again later.

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not going to use a used o ring. I can get an 86 canister filter from work which comes with o rings. How has your JB weld job held up?

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Not going to use a used o ring. I can get an 86 canister filter from work which comes with o rings. How has your JB weld job held up?

Sorry I misunderstood about the O-ring.

Its is holding....but is always damp....never leaves a puddle. I used it on the lower portion of the filter canister...long story:shok:. certianly could be spewing A Lot worse. I'll have to prolly get a different one before winter. It has been on for nearly a year.

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow. Ford said they carried something like it, I wonder if its the same thing. I tried to get the thing out today but even after removing the plastic clips off the fuel lines, they wouldnt budge.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
fuel lines are a different thing all together.
might have to soak them 1st with a pentrating spray of some kind. then try again

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where do you plan on getting another canister? Has your leak caused any starting problems? I have a theory that my truck wont start on the first turn due to the leak. Pressure in the fuel line leading to the rail is lost as the fuel seeps out of the seam and therefore I have to turn the key on 4-5 times every morning to get the pressure back up and get it to start right away.

If I shut it off and restart 1-30 mins later it will start on the first shot. Not to mention the smell of fuel makes yearly inspections hard.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Where do you plan on getting another canister? Has your leak caused any starting problems? I have a theory that my truck wont start on the first turn due to the leak. Pressure in the fuel line leading to the rail is lost as the fuel seeps out of the seam and therefore I have to turn the key on 4-5 times every morning to get the pressure back up and get it to start right away.

If I shut it off and restart 1-30 mins later it will start on the first shot. Not to mention the smell of fuel makes yearly inspections hard.
I'll prolly have to go to a dealership to get another one:bawling:. or a JY.

I have one from the donor I had ...but it is the taller canister and the filter will just float around in there:annoyed: I do have a spring that would sit in there & hold the filter in place....but considering how thin the bottom is adding a constant spring pressure ,I fear will just blow it out on the 1st good road jar:dunno: knowing the way my luck runs, I'll be Miles away from home and the cell phone battery will spontaniously die.:icon_surprised:

I did just remove the whole assemblyfrom the frame, then took it to the bench/vise where I could work on it. I too struggled with getting those lines to release...but this was on the donor , I wasn't to concerned about going back together .... so I just ended up using a pliers and twisting and turning & pulling until they came off and that was after I sprayed them down....I can not say that the lines survived or not??....but after they did release they did not appear any worse for the abuse. Sounds like you'll need a new line anyway.

As far as starting here...she fires up with in seconds, no more than 10, most times within 3. so mine isn't leaking sitting. I fear it leaks more while going down the road.

Last edited:

Cyberbeer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Updating this post. I replaced the canister with a new one from Ford (47 bucks) and it fixed all the driveability and multiple key turn problems I was having. To my suprise I cracked open the old canister and there was a filter in it. Just sorta floating around and full of crap. Apparently whoever had the truck before me put a filter in there.

The hardest part was getting the lines out, they needed a good twist and pull to pop off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals