• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get Engine Running codes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
So I recently finished the 4.0 swap into my 84 Bronco II. Okay, I'll be honest, and say I'm not finished. It's running and driving and putting a constant smile on my face when behind the wheel (what a HUGE improvement over the 2.8!!), but I still have wiring to clean up and gauges to get working. But I digress.

I'm not able to get any Key On Engine Running codes. KOEO codes work with a test light no problem, and for those I'm only getting codes related to the automatic transmission the computer is looking for but is still in the donor vehicle. But when I try to get Engine Running codes, I get nothing. Nada. Zip.

I believe, after startup, it should at least signal the engine ID, but I don't even get this. The jumper and test light configuration doesn't change from KOEO to KOER, does it?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Doesn't change. Hook the test light up, get the engine started and warmed up fully(if you do not warm it up till the thermostat opens you will get codes) and once it's fully warmed up and idling, install the jumper. The engine will immediately start acting weird and may rev up and then almost stall and you may hear various things under the hood clicking, and then the idle will even out, and after a little bit, it should start spitting codes out. You will always get codes. With everything working correctly you will get a code 11.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Okay. I've had everything hooked up, then started the engine. Looks like I need to have the engine running (and up to temp), then connect the jumper. I'll give it a shot.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Engine doesn't run differently? No clicking under the hood? If not, you are definitely not entering the test mode. Can't explain why.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Nope, no difference in how the engine runs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals