• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can't get pitman arm nut off...Help!

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
An impact would put far less strain on the gearbox than a ratchet with 4' pipe would.

Sorry your having such a hard time. I should have loosened it up for you before I shipped it, I have the socket and impact. Didn't even think about it.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey no worries, really...personally I think it is more hubby not really caring if he gets _MY_ truck fixed or not...but hey I could be wrong.

He is really not very mechanical...but can follow directions, so does ok, except when it comes to figuring things out on his own, with new things...like 4WD steering linkages and gearboxes...

We'll get her sorted so don't you worry none! *winks*

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
I keep my trusty 3/4 inch ratchet and 4 foot cheater pipe for just such an occasion. Well, those are usually for suspension, but they work fine on the Pitman nut.

I think that nut is 1 5/16 inches.

And I've never broken my $6 Harbor Freight Pitman arm puller.
I have. Thrice.

compleckz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you know what, installing the dropped pitman arm was the hardest part of my lift.. well removing the old one was the hard part.. the nut came off easy, but i could NOT get the old arm off.. i broke two 3-arm 5-ton pullers, i used heat pb blaster wd40, hammers bars, swearing, blood, sweat, tears...

finally what got it off after HOURS, was one of those cheap-ass 2 piece HF type puller u have pictured above (which you broke 3 of)...

it looked like it was ABOUT to break, the thing was bent like friggin crazy, then finally it POPPED, i had a safety face shield on and i just closed me eyes and cringed while shielding my body with my arms. i thought i blew the puller to pieces, i looked and it was still on there, and the pitman came off in my hand. the $5 puller did it. i was fucking amazed. to this day is till find pieces and parts around the garage, of the other 2 pullers i blew to bitsssssss

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
what about just putting the box on the truck, and putting a ratchet or breaker bar on the nut, bracing it against the frame rail or some thing and starting the truck (after bleeding the system) and using the steering box itself to get the nut off? use a ratchet and just crank the steering wheel back and forth once its broke loose and then take it off by hand?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
WOW!!!!!!

I guess I got luck doing mine. When I installed my dropped pitman arm and had to remove my old original one it came off like butter.

Good luck to you.

Allen

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well folks, thanks for all your great ideas...he finally used a breaker and the house for an anchor and managed to get the one, on the truck broke loose, then did as I suggested and went to our mechanic and had him bust loose the other one.

Pitman arm removal ....scary stories may be in store... comes next.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah we got both of the arms off, and the gearbox installed and it got down to about 30 degrees so he had to stop there...

We will be getting the rest sorted this coming weekend weather permitting, as we don't have a garage and she's sitting in th driveway...

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Heck if you have the box on, it can't be more than 20 more minutes of work to finish it up.

Tell him to get a move on, a little cold never hurt anyone.

Last winter the starter went out in Heather's ranger on the coldest day of the year. I was laying under it in her driveway in a huge pile of snow. I had nothing but problems getting it out. Three hours later, I was NOT in a good mood.

RhainyC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hehheee, well I would have told him just that except the poor man had spent ALL day out on the ground getting this thing sorted...I had a bit of pity on him, but this weekend's D-Day...and all going well, I will be either ordering parts a week from friday, which is payday, or he will be going to pull them of at a wrecking yard a couple hours south of us...

Oh and btw, expect a little paypal notice same said, week from friday ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals