• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can't reach the distributor

derek54401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury
Engine Size
302 V8
I am trying to adjust the timing on my 2.9 ranger. the problem I am having is that the distributor is jammed right between the firewall and the intake manifold. how am I supposed to loosen and turn the distributor?

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am trying to adjust the timing on my 2.9 ranger. the problem I am having is that the distributor is jammed right between the firewall and the intake manifold. how am I supposed to loosen and turn the distributor?

you're going need a small 13mm wrench and work your hands behind the distributor, one on each side (I've found it's best to position yourself on the passenger side of the engine bay) and loosen the hold down bolt for the distributor just enough so as you can turn lift and turn it.

barbefunkoramaque

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I use a 1/2 wobble socket (a Socket and Wobble extension doesn't work right for me) connected to a 6 inch or so extension which basically puts that right on the firewall with not enough room... however, using your wobble extension there with a 2 inch extension and a ratchet if perfect and it stays there while you start the engine and run it. I can always tell by the height of that wobble extension whether or not I have the socket seated.

popdaddy

derek54401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury
Engine Size
302 V8
ok, thanks for the input. when reaching behind the distributor, i felt one hold down bolt. is there only one?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, there is only one. It's 1/2 inch (13mm), I find using a real short Box end wrench works best, I'm right handed, so standing on the Drivers side, on a bucket(Mine has a lift and I'm not over 6ft tall) I can reach my right arm down there, jam the box end on there, so it stays, then you can loosen it, adjust your timing and tighten her back up. Using a 13mm, which is a titch bigger, it ill fall off the bolt and you'll be crawlin under your truck a number of times to retreive it. Be sure to take out the Spout when doing the timing:icon_thumby:

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
If body stature is more the issue...and you're not too concern about the lawn..dig a couple of hole for the front tires to sit in, or air down the tires significantly.

taking the hood off, with some help from a buddy, helps you get your head back there to see what is going on too. PLUS, LOTS more light

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've always been partial to kneeling on the radiator support to get at that bolt, and most of the other things back on that part of the engine.

derek54401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury
Engine Size
302 V8
thanks for all the input everyone. as long as that is the only hold down bolt, i should be able to get to it, as I am about 6 feet, and my lift is only 2"

just wasn't sure that there was only that one hold down bolt.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the input everyone. as long as that is the only hold down bolt, i should be able to get to it, as I am about 6 feet, and my lift is only 2"

just wasn't sure that there was only that one hold down bolt.
Yeap...only 1

ScottT80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine has worked itself loose... I was wondering how to get at it too...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals