• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Caper Shell Rack

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so in the next few days, I might be getting a free campershell for my Ranger(it was originally on it, but the two were seperated and may just become reunited). I believe it is fiberglass. So my question is, does anybody know if you can safely mount a rack onto the camper shell and not have it buckle? I know that Caravan Campers has a line of shells that have integrated racks that hold up to 2,000 pounds, but their campers have a steel frame. I don't plan on holding a ton of stuff up there, just a spare tire and maybe some trail tool, so would I be ok? Thanks for the help guys!

407Link

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The survey company I worked at had racks on the flimsy metal ones and could hold about 600lbs I'm sure a fiber glass one would hold a lot more

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dang. Looks like I'll be making a rack for it then!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i see racks on fiberglass all the time. don't know about the holding capacity of them but im sure it could handle a spare tire and stuff

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hopefully your camper shell has the aluminum frame/reinforcement and not the wood. the wood rots and there goes your support.
the support frame for the rack and basket should extend down the outside of the shell at least 12 inches or so at each corner and be through bolted with sizable backing plates on the inside. that should provide you with at least a couple hundred pounds of carrying capacity for the rack, and probably more. good luck with your project.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info guys! If it is wood, it shouldn't be a problem. It's sp dry in AZ that it wouldn't warp and it was stored in the shade, so it should be ok. I'll have pics up and a build thread for it in a while if it turns out that I can get it.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright, turns out I will be getting the camper but the company who has it actually has 2. The boss will decide which one to get rid of, but they both fit the Ranger. They both have a ladder rack, one crappy, and one broke, so I will be making a new one for it. Anyway I should be getting it within the next couple days. I'll keep you guys updated.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Update: the camper shell is actually an aluminum model, but the rack extends all the way down the sides. I might not need to make a new one, but just rebuild it with some new hardware and add a few crossbars in it for strength. I don't know when I'll be getting it but it should be within the next couple days. Anybody have anything else to throw at me before I start the rebuild?

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks strvger!

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, the decision came down to where I get my choice of the two camper shells, woo! So I'll be picking it up on monday. I'll get some pics up and then rebuild the rack.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got the shell on today and it looks good. For some reason my phone won't send me picture emails but I'll try to get some pics up later. It does have an aluminum ladder rack on the back and lots of aluminum support rails on the inside and the skin is also aluminum. I plan on building a frame for it to sit on and add some rigidity to the rack once I build it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals