• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cat Converter replacement?

Decker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just pulled the muffler on my truck to discover that the insides of my cat were in my muffler, so I need to replace my cat. My question is, OEM direct fit or universal? The direct fit from Magnaflow is around $120 and the universal, also from Magnaflow, is around $65, both shipped at that price.

Has anyone had experience with the direct fit? The pictures I've seen look like the build and bends are good, but I dont have one in hand to verify. I'd rather unbolt just 4 bolts than unbolt, cut and weld. :icon_welder:

PS, it's a 94 2wd with a 2.3

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I think you just answered your own question, get the direct fit and save yourself some work!

Baseranger

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Automatic
Direct fit is slot easier to install, but twice the price. If your welding can handle the job I would get the universal one. Money saved is money saved.

DriverSideImpact

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Not only is it cheaper, but how badly rusted are the bolts on the cat...they may just break off, not unbolt at all, or damage the flange anyways. Plus if you can weld it up... then you dont have to worry about gaskets and all that crap going bad...

My solution in your situation... Don't unbolt anything, cut just before the flange and weld it on...and put on the rest of your pipe...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals