• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clanking during higher rpms

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
After taking out my fuel injectors to clean them, after putting them in, there's a loud clanking noise when revving into the higher rpms and a somewhat rough idle. I tried to take a video, but of course it doesn't do it as much when i try to take the video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/pVEgHfJBKvY

gungfudan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
did you let your injectors dry completely before re-installing them? And is that water i see on your engine?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
What else did you do? Did you only take out the injectors and clean them? Or did you pull plug wires? Get the motor wet, etc.?

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The only thing i did was pull the injectors and spray a little carb cleaner in the upper intake manifold. I let them dry a couple hours after having them soak in carb cleaner. And yes it is water, i took the video after washing the engine. After spending a few hours on polishing and waxing i decided a needed a clean engine as well.
The only thing ive seen on clanking noises is it coming from the transmission, but this really sounds like its coming from my engine.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Maybe detonation? Mine sounds like it's clanking sometimes under the hood but I'm pretty sure it's a kind of backfire or header noise from the exhaust.

What kind of fuel do you use and have you recently changed where you fill up your tank? Why did you have to clean your injectors in the first place, or was that just regular maintenance?

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A few weeks ago I tried filling up half my tank with E85. I had heard both sides of the story, some saying its okay others saying its bad for it. I decided to try it myself and everything is fine. i have also filled up with name brand 93 gas to help it just in case. everything has been fine with it until pulling the injectors. The reason i pulled them is part in hopes of restoring a little bit of power and part for fun. Mainly for fun.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Ah, OK...I checked out the video...near the end it almost sounds like an exhaust leak. That put put put was heard on mine a few times from various exhaust connections that were just not tight enough. Especially the manifold to down pipe connection where mine has managed to shake itself loose a few times.

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The exhaust seems pretty tight, is there any other ways to check apart from wiggling it around? I went out and took another video now that its doing it as much as it has been. the video sound quality doesnt quite do it justice, it sounds like someone poured a bag of rocks down the intake.

http://youtu.be/5vTaLs8gbR0

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
That is kind of rocky sounding...

Maybe take the plastic tube off the TB and see if it goes away...could be a loose throttle plate...

Could also be something rattling around inside the intake or clattering on the valves...like that missing bolt that you couldn't find...lol

If there is something inside it would eventually get sucked into your engine and if it's metal bigger than the valve opening it could be in there bouncing aound...if it's smaller than the valve opening it will end up in your exhaust system...I'd start by taking off the air tube to see if the sound is more or less noticeable...

J281v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 266K
Transmission
Manual
I'd start with drying up the ignition system. How many miles? Mine clatters - still need to change the tappets and followers.

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well she got me to work like a champ, clanking the way there and back. I just pulled off the top of the air filter box and fired it up. It seemed a lot louder as if it was coming from the intake. The only metal i can think of that may have gotten in there is when i stripped the threads on a hole on the lower intake manifold and had to tap it out. Also, it seems to not be as loud and frequent when the engine is warmer.
It has 111,000 miles on it, so far she's served me well as my first ever vehicle. My friend likes to make fun of me for having a 4 cylinder, but he shuts up when i tell him i fill up around every month, compared to his every 4 days for his V8.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Just making sure here..... none of this happened until you worked on it, right? Are you sure everything is back in it's place? The PCV valve is in it's place and hooked up correctly?

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well i checked all my bolts n such, the PCV valve, and connectors. Everything seems to be in its place. And yes, its all happening after putting everything back on.

1237jjm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well the truck is still clanking. Should i take the intake off and poke around? Or maybe the valve cover?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'd take off the TB but not the intake...if what's in there is metal you can probably fish it out with one of those magnet thingies...if it's plastic then you could probably use a vacuum hose...but you may need to rotate the engine to close the valves on each cylinder for it to get good suction...otherwise you might vacuum out all your oil or muffler bearings...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals