• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clean 98 Ranger and Road Salt Advice

kngelv

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I live outside Detroit and recently picked up a 1998 2WD Ranger XLT extended cab for my son. It has 195K on it and is a 2.5 5-Speed. He is pressuring me hard to let him drive it even when there is salt on the roads. It was a North Carolina truck so no rust underneath and it is not undercoated. How much damage can it get driving for a few months on salted roads. I figure for next year I could coat it with Fluid Film or something. Any advice is appreciated.

James

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
I f you washed the living he@l out of the undercarriage very well every week you should be okay....but you pretty much need a lift to do that.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rust doesn't happen that fast so you will be fine

Be sure to keep driving it on wet roads AFTER they stop salting the roads to rinse off as much of the salt as possible
And/or put a garden sprinkler in the driveway and move the vehicle back and forth over it to do a final rinse

In below freezing temps rusting is very very very slow, its when it warms up that the residual salt can promote faster rusting

Rust is cause by Oxygen in the air, the process is called Oxidation
Bare metal(iron/steel) will oxidize when exposed to air, water(H2O) increases speed of oxidation, salt adds to that speed

Paint covers the metal so oxygen can't get to it, so no rust can start
Underside of any vehicle is constantly bombarded by road debris which wears paint/coatings off, exposing bare metal
Salt, or sand, on the road causes even more paint/coating wear

If you see rust spots then you need to neutralize the rust first, then you can paint/coat over it
"Naval Jelly" does that neutralizing, be careful using it, follow instructions
It changes Rust into a neutral material so paint will stick

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I've seen how much salt they put on Detroit roads, the mist/spray creeps into every crevice and seam.
get it coated ASAP
fluid film or other such coating. they creep into the seams for excellent protection.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
A lot!

i brought a clean CA truck to WI and it started rusting almost immediately in one winter. it seems like southern vehicles rust way faster once exposed than an otherwise new at the time vehicle would have.

I wish I had fluid filmed it right off the bat, but didn't.

A friend of mine and I decided to compare fluid film and wool wax. I used the FF and he used the wool wax. IMO the wool wax had superior staying power... almost all of his was still on the important parts after winter while my FF wasn't. It was more difficult to use however.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If there is any of that fiber backed heat shielding attached to the bed above the exhaust, remove it right away. They trap moisture, dirt, and salt badly and will cause those sections of the bed to rust faster than the rest.

Other than the Fluid Film treatment you mentioned and making sure the underside of the truck is hosed off as mentioned above, there isn’t much more you can do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals