• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch noise

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Getting a noise coming from my clutch I think. I originally thought it was a universal joint but I couldnt find anything wrong there. Its kinda like a binding tension clicking sound if that makes any sense. ive worn out clutches before but never broke one so im not real sure. Im thinking maybe a broken pressure plate spring? The pedal is still fine and there is no slippage and today i felt it in the shifter. Anyone experience this before.:icon_confused: Oh yea 84 Bii 2.8 4sp.

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
ill put money on it thats its a u-joint... a lot of times you cant see any problems with the u-joints, but when the stress of driving gets to them they make noises because there is far more stress from driving than your hands could ever make... right now my u-joints need replacing, they squeak and click... ill bet the needle bearings are rusted in them.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I hope you are right. Its a pretty cheap item to try. I need this thing running to start moving friday night. Bought a house and my chebby hasnt ran in so long I cant rely on it. Hope it makes it to the new place under its own power. It really does sound and feel to me like a U joint.

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ive busted 3 clutches all of them in my mustang heh.. You KNow when you have a blown clutch it goes Crack/bang and there's this feeling of gliding along sedately.

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So do you think since it is still performing properly that the pressure plate is ok?

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
my experience is that if a clutch goes, it goes... one of my pressure plate springs let loose and grenaded my clutch into pieces... if your clutch was bad you would probably feel some slipping and so on... clicks/squeaks/clunks are usually ujoints... try replacing them with some high quality greaseable ones..

GMWIGGS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 & 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my experience is that if a clutch goes, it goes... one of my pressure plate springs let loose and grenaded my clutch into pieces... if your clutch was bad you would probably feel some slipping and so on... clicks/squeaks/clunks are usually ujoints... try replacing them with some high quality greaseable ones..

+1

Me thinks you need to look at the u-joints for sure.

97DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar problem with my 97 witht he 5spd. It sounded like ujoint but come to find out my clutch was completely gone and so was the bearing at the back of the motor which cause my slave cylinder to be distroyed. clutch worked fine as usual for a while then all of a sudden it was gone and caused alot of damage. I dont know if its the same on your truck but i wish someone had told me this could happen from what i thought was a ujoint.:sad:

m8r8j

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
blue oval
Engine Size
2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
yea i usually try to replace the cheaper parts first.. just me though

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Stopped on the way home and picked up a joint but my dumba*@ forgot i need 2. Went ahead and checked it again and the shaft has more play than i am happy with. I dont know what happened the other day when I checked it maybe the way it was sitting held tension on it. Ill get the other joint tomorrow and see how that works. So for now Ill just :icon_cheers:

H munster

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 Bronco II
Engine Size
2.8/ 4.0/ 4.0
Transmission
Manual
turns out it was a u joint. it fought me every step of the way but i put the new one in and all is quiet. I still need to do the other two but i fell in love with my bii again. And get this, the wife came home today and said she found a Durange that she wanted to buy me. Sheesh as if.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals