• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

clutch or transmission issue?

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
94 Ranger, 170,000 miles, 2.3 L

I replaced my clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and had my flywheel resurfaced. I bled my slave cylinder twice following Haynes instructions, and I'm still having problems which I don't even think stem from my new clutch.

I cannot shift gears at all, with the truck NOT running, or with the truck running. I have inspected the throw out bearing push against the pressure plate, from underneath the truck (through the inspection port under the bell housing) and I can see it move against the pressure plate. This tends to make me think I correctly installed the new clutch kit and slave.

But what really makes me curious is the fact that even when the truck is not running at all, I cannot shift out of neutral into any gear with or without pushing the clutch pedal down. This issue should not be connected to the clutch at all because the truck is not even on and I'm not even engaging or disengaging the clutch. It makes me feel as though there is now something wrong with my transmission, but it was fine before.

Here's another kicker! After I start the truck, if I take my foot off the clutch pedal, the truck stalls!Any suggestions...thanks in advance.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
94 Ranger, 170,000 miles, 2.3 L

I replaced my clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, and had my flywheel resurfaced. I bled my slave cylinder twice following Haynes instructions, and I'm still having problems which I don't even think stem from my new clutch.

I cannot shift gears at all, with the truck NOT running, or with the truck running. I have inspected the throw out bearing push against the pressure plate, from underneath the truck (through the inspection port under the bell housing) and I can see it move against the pressure plate. This tends to make me think I correctly installed the new clutch kit and slave.

But what really makes me curious is the fact that even when the truck is not running at all, I cannot shift out of neutral into any gear with or without pushing the clutch pedal down. This issue should not be connected to the clutch at all because the truck is not even on and I'm not even engaging or disengaging the clutch. It makes me feel as though there is now something wrong with my transmission, but it was fine before.

Here's another kicker! After I start the truck, if I take my foot off the clutch pedal, the truck stalls!Any suggestions...thanks in advance.
I will assume you did not have this issue before you did the work........I would venture to guess you removed the "shift lever stub" from the tranny during the install and reinstalled incorrectly.....

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I will assume you did not have this issue before you did the work........I would venture to guess you removed the "shift lever stub" from the tranny during the install and reinstalled incorrectly.....
This seems to be the consensus from everyone I have talked to about this issue. I am going to play with it some more, but I have already tinkered with it a good bit, and it seems like there is only one way it could go in, and I think I did it correctly.

But back to the drawing board!

Of course, this still does not explain why my truck stalls when I take my foot off the clutch.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull it off again and really take a look at it.I bet you are not putting it in correctly. You did not drop a srew or something in there did you? You added the ATF back in there right?

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pull it off again and really take a look at it.I bet you are not putting it in correctly. You did not drop a srew or something in there did you? You added the ATF back in there right?
You may be right - I may not be putting in right. I will admit that I left the top uncovered while I was changing out the clutch, but it sat in my garage and there is little to no traffic in there. I did notice a very tiny amount of dirt that got down in there.

Yes I did fill it with ATF. I'm thinking about putting some ATF in hole where the shifter goes to maybe wash some of that little dirt I can see down to the bottom of the transmission.

I'm planning on playing around with it in a little, and I will report back.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you should have put a rag down the hole......but I think you will be fine.. I changed out my clutch over thanksgivng. you are suppose to put the truck in neutral and then remove the shift lever. I bet you had the truck in gear and then force the stub in there and tighten it down. I remember looking down in the hole and there was slot that received the stub make sure the bottom of the stub goes into that slot........

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The lever must be removed/reinstalled with the transmission in neutral

Failing that all three "Gates" inside the trans must be aligned

use a large screwdriver to pry the one in gear to neutral before reinstalling the stub

AD

Surefoot1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual

Should look like this before you put the stub back in.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Of course, this still does not explain why my truck stalls when I take my foot off the clutch.
the reason the truck stalls when you take your foot of of it is becasue the tranny is in gear......as soon as you put the tranny and nuetral and install the stub you should be good to go:beer:

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you all. I followed the direction ya'll gave me and pryed my two silver dowels parallel like the pic from surefoot.

All is well...

...except my thermostat is stuck and my upper radiator hose almost exploded after driving to test the clutch. I guess its time to go back to Autozone, and while I'm at it, why not change the timing belt. It is the original with 175000 miles. Not bad huh?

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Should look like this before you put the stub back in.
Wow, you have alot of transmission fluid in there. Mine was dry up top. I filled it with about 3 quarts. I wonder if I need more? I thought I could feel it in the fill hole with my pinky so I stopped.

Thanks for that pic by the way - I owe you big on that one.

Surefoot1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Wow, you have alot of transmission fluid in there. Mine was dry up top. I filled it with about 3 quarts. I wonder if I need more? I thought I could feel it in the fill hole with my pinky so I stopped.

Thanks for that pic by the way - I owe you big on that one.
I had just put in some Lucas stop leak stuff right before I took the pic.
Bad thing was it did not stop the leak and it made it harder to shift.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals