• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cobra 302 1987 Ranger

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
For anyone interested. I ordered a few over sized push rods. A few guys I talked to here in town said there might be one of two things going on.

1 - When the engine shop did the valve job on my engine they could have taken a hair bit to much off which is creating the rocker to not reach 0-lash. If that’s the case that would only cost $10 and about an hour to fix. The oversized push rods I'm trying are about 15thousands. They said to stay between 10 and 35. If you go up to 40 things could start to open when they shouldn't.:yahoo:

2 - I have a few new lifters that are bad and need replaced. Ford today is sending me replacement lifters for free and the job will probably take 4 hours and a lot more work.:sad:

I hope #1 solves my engine noise problem.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
On the bright side though, at least you don't have to pull the heads off to get the lifters out! :)

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
302 / TF heads & cam, Harland Sharp rockers, Intake, Holley Carb, MSD, 5 speed with Hurst Shifter
Transmission
Manual
You are right about that. :icon_thumby:

JoeyB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so I ordered push rods which I was told they were about .015 oversized. I picked them up the other day and they are more like .100. They were almost 1/4" bigger. Back to phones and find out they only make oversized push rods in increments on .050. So I order them to see if I can figure out this problem. I have had several people tell me they don't think it's my lifters not pumping up. Only because the lifters are new and I have 4 rocker arms that are having this problem. This is a real bitch trying to figure this out. :annoyed: The engine has no power loss and runs good. Just has a annoying knocking sound. I even went back through ever rocker and made sure all the bolts were tightened down to spec, and they were.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals