• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code 41

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 91 4.0 is giving me a code now. This just started. Since the swap all was fine until now it throws a code. CEL comes on after you drive for a while and it hits operating temp. Goes away if you shut it off and restart and then eventually it will come on again. I read the codes and got a 41 (both KEO and engine running). That's the only code I get. Hayne's says it means HEGO sensor lean condition. Is that right? What can I do?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Take it to a shop.

Lean codes are a VERY bad thing to learn on.

An hour of competent diagnosis will cost about the same as the oxygen sensor someone is going to tell you to buy, that you MAY need. But I doubt it, especially since you've been modifying the vehicle. Even without it, there are dozens of ways to trip a lean code.

steiner_5000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the same prolem with my swap. 91 4.0 into 85 B2. It runs terrible and I got the same code. My truck cant idle at all it will rev really high then sputter and chug and almost die then rev up again. I know its not an O2 sensor because I replaced it about 4 months ago. Do I really have to take it to a shop?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, you don't HAVE to.

But I think you'll be running in circles if you don't.

If you have a manual transmission, you need a neutral switch for a '91 4.0L to idle correctly. You never did for a 2.8L.

The fun part about that code is that any serious miss will trip it. Among a bunch of other things.

A common F-up on a 4.0L is screwing up the firing order by not understanding the coil pack correctly. The cylinders are labelled on pack and they are NOT arranged 123 and 456.

steiner_5000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But would the nuetral safe swith make the motor surge up an down and die at idle

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no neutral safety switch on a manual transmission. There is a neutral SENSING switch on some. Though you might think it's semantic, it makes a VERY big difference to how it is used.

Missing the switch won't CAUSE "surging." It will tell the computer that idle speed doesn't need to be controlled because the truck is in gear and it can't anyway.

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thought I'd update. My problem was as simple as the O2 sensor. Replaced it and problem went away. The little filament thing inside the sensor was broke off. It was rattling. Probably should not be like that. The sensor looked clean though. What does a normal sensor look like? It was like it was hot, a little white, and clean. I took a pic I can post later.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That sounds normal to me.

It should look quite a lot like a normal spark plug.

Light deposits are not a big deal. Heavy deposits or any carbon, coolant or oil fouling are problematic.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals