• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

codes

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Hi I got a 88 ford ranger v6 2.9,
I am kind of new to the car mechanic field and am running my scanner and got a couple codes I dont understand any help would appreciate. Thanks

21 engine coolant temp out of range
74 brake on off signal ope or short to ground
77 system did not receive goose test

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you warm the engine all the way up before doing the test and the goose test or dynamic responce is when you are doing the KOER test when the reader gives you one flash you need to push the throttle half way down for a couple of seconds. Did you change or clean any sensors you need to reset the computer erase the memory by running the KOEO test and when it starts giving you codes end the test and that will erase the memory then disconnect the battery for 1/2 hour. To retest run the truck at medium speeds for about 20 minutes until at operating temp then do the KOER test and goose it when you get one flash then give us the results.

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I did repalce a few sensors, so I will have to reset the computer and I didn't know you have to hold down throttle, Thank you very much

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
you don't hold it down, you just give it a shot to the floor, same with the brake, just have to press it quick....

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Alright thanks, also i dont have license to drive rite now and just moved no body I really know around, Do I have to drive it for twenty minutes to or could I take it to smog shop and let the wheels run.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
For the test you just need to get it up to operating temp but for the computer after you reset the values it needs to set new ones and running it at medium to fast speeds will do that it might run a little rough at first or for a couple of warm up cycles until the computer makes all the adjustments necessary. If you get a O-2 code it could be you havent prepped it properly but you will only need to reset the computer once by disconnecting the battery for ondemand codes the rest of the codes are memory and can be reset any time before you run the KOER test.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Let us know either way what you find out.

bigblue88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I reset computer did tests again and got

13-cannot control rpm during self test low rpm check
21-engine coolant temp(ect)out of self test range [just replaced sensor few days ago going to double chek if they gave me rite one]
73-insufficient tp change during dynamic response test

Not sure if i'm doing throttle test rite, I bought an actron 9015 and it says after three flashes(KOER) perform boo then wait for single flash then completely press and release throttle and I pushed the pedal all the way down for a second and let it go. Is this rite or do I have to do diagnostics and fix something? Did I reset it correct?Thanks

not getting 74 and 77 though

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals