• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold Air Intake ..

DerrtyRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'Vulcan' 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hello , how many more HP would a cold air intake add to my 150HP 2001 Ranger XLT (3.0L) ?
My vehicle is by far not the strongest truck I've owned.. I left a 1997 Chevy S10 LS ( Standard Cab ) w/ a 4.3L Vortec H.O. . The truck was a rocket and had real some balls for a mid size pickup. My Ranger gets way better gas mileage but that's only logical. So I was wondering , would it be worth paying whatever best price I can find to add however many HP to a 150HP truck?
Or , how could I get more power/acceleration from this 3.0 ?
Also , I dont want responses suggesting I get a diff. vehicle .. I love this Ranger, just wish it had more power.

Any (Most) suggestions/help would be appreciated .. Thank You :icon_hornsup:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The factory intake is a cold air intake. Many will debate whether or not a replacement filter is worth doing or not. But I have an ACCEL Kool Blue filter which I like, but I didn't feel any difference. I do like being able to just clean the filter though.

Honestly, the best seat in the pants upgrade I think you should consider is going to a lower gear ratio in the differential.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Nothing....you might even loose power. The only good thing about the CAI is the cool sound and a slight increase in throttle response.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you just want a little more pep, then exhaust, underdrive pullies, an e-fan and a good tune will do it. If you want big gains, boost is the way to go.
Here's a basic guideline.
Stage 1: ( Simple bolt-ons, fairly inexpensive, will improve throttle response, slight increases in power, and can improve mileage)

underdrive pulleys
a decent cat-back exhaust
electric fan
Air intake kit
*an sct X-cal tuner

Stage 2: (More indepth install requirements, increased cost, work best in conjunction with Stage 1 mods)

porting/polishing heads and intakes
roller rockers
headers
*an sct X-cal tuner

Stage 3 : (Most advanced, will see largest power gains, highest cost, )

Tom Morana products
Forced induction
*an sct X-cal tuner

*The tuner can be done at any stage, but making the tuner the last mod you do will allow the tunes to account for other mods, and therefore have a larger net affect on performance. It also keeps you from spending money on additional tunes if you mod things after purchasing the tuner.

DerrtyRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'Vulcan' 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the help Guys ..

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
If you just want a little more pep, then exhaust, underdrive pullies, an e-fan and a good tune will do it. If you want big gains, boost is the way to go.
Here's a basic guideline.
Stage 1: ( Simple bolt-ons, fairly inexpensive, will improve throttle response, slight increases in power, and can improve mileage)

underdrive pulleys
a decent cat-back exhaust
electric fan
Air intake kit
*an sct X-cal tuner

Stage 2: (More indepth install requirements, increased cost, work best in conjunction with Stage 1 mods)

porting/polishing heads and intakes
roller rockers
headers
*an sct X-cal tuner

Stage 3 : (Most advanced, will see largest power gains, highest cost, )

Tom Morana products
Forced induction
*an sct X-cal tuner

*The tuner can be done at any stage, but making the tuner the last mod you do will allow the tunes to account for other mods, and therefore have a larger net affect on performance. It also keeps you from spending money on additional tunes if you mod things after purchasing the tuner.
That's a good thing to keep in mind. Although I have heard that the electric fan is worthless.

wtatman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I put a CAI on my truck 6 months ago. I don't know if it makes more power or not but it did feel and sound better going through the gears. The best mod I did for power and mileage was going from 3.45 to 4.10 gears. Made me and my truck very happy!
:yahoo:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a good thing to keep in mind. Although I have heard that the electric fan is worthless.
As long as the fan is properly sized and setup so that it doesn't have to run all the time, then it's a great mod IMO. I've had mine on for 2 years now, and have had zero issues or complaints.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
As long as the fan is properly sized and setup so that it doesn't have to run all the time, then it's a great mod IMO. I've had mine on for 2 years now, and have had zero issues or complaints.
I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I just wouldn't want to have to deal with the wiring and all that.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did not want to listen to the clutch fan whirring all the time, these 3.0 trucks are so quieter with the e-fan. The wiring is quite simple.

JP02XLT

volrath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I just wouldn't want to have to deal with the wiring and all that.
the wiring is EASY!!! just buy a good wiring kit. i have had mine for about 3 years now on my 94 and have had one on my 90 sense highschool(8 years ago). not to mention increased power, better milage and fast warm up times(important in winter)

the only thing was the kits with the push through t-state probe(single wire) didn't last here in wisconsin. the kits with the brass probe (two wires) last a lot longer.

in my 2.9 when i rebuilt it i tapped the intake for a threaded probe to control the electric fan

single probe similar to the one i had problems with.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/52125/10002/-1?parentProductId=943351

a unit like i have had now for years of service.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Derale/Derale-Electric-Fan-Accessories/758411/10002/-1

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Is it difficult to install the electric fan?

michowski

Reaction score
Nope. Need a constant hot, a switched hot if you want the fan to turn off when the motor gets killed, and ground. Mine was the flex a lite fan tho so it had the relay and everything there. I just had to wire it in. Love it and havent looked back. More throttle response, slight increase in mpg, and only turns on when it reaches a certain temp.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I think I will look into doing this. One question though...what do you do with the fan clutch and everything with the stock fan?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I will look into doing this. One question though...what do you do with the fan clutch and everything with the stock fan?
You remove it, Leave the stock shroud on the radiator & install you choice of electric inside the shroud.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals