• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cold start issues

MoToMaStR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4 140ci
Transmission
Manual
I looked around the forum for this and didnt find any related issues. My 91 2.3L ranger has 140k on it and iv been noticing it doesnt like to start when its cold outside. I use to live in FL where the temp never dropped below 45f. I moved out to california and in the mornings, my truck REFUSES to start for me. Its a pain in the ass waking up for college - preying to the engine gods, then at a frosty 6am, crossing my fingers before i turn the key. It will just keep cranking and cranking. Iv been parking my truck front end facing downhill because the only way i can get it started is by popping the clutch after i get some speed down the hill. It really sucks and im stumped on what the hell it could be. Iv replaced the solenoid, the starter went out on me a few months ago so new starter, new battery, new alternator, new catalytic converter, new fuel filter. New K&N air filter..... im lost. Could it be O2 sensor, or MAF sensor?? any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Iv been taking my super sweet and super fast ZX-9r to school, which isnt a broblem but ,..... GOD F*CKIN DAMN COLD ON THE BIKE MAN! Any ideas? Thanks a lot gents. :icon_cheers:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It is interesting that it starts on a pop start. But cranks and will not start normally. Could it be you have a fuel delivery issue and the shear force of the pop start gets the fuel primed and running. You said you changed the solanoid is that the starter solanoid. Did you change the fuel pump relay? Can you hear the pump prime when you put the key to on?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
If it starts on a jump...that means you've got spark and fuel...so those systems shouldn't need attention...

What it could be is the distributor is getting damp or it is cracked...

My 1989 Tempo had a little rubber boot over the distributor and when I took it off to do some maintenance work I forgot to put it back on...cold weather starting was a big problem...until I replaced that boot...condensation on distributor and wires was the problem...

Solution...cover distributor (the Tempo boots fit over a Ranger distributor (not applicable to DIS systems) with a bit of modifications)

Go to the junkyard and grab the boot off a 88-93 Ford Tempo...cut a hole in the back and feed the wires through...then button it up...

As for the wires...spray them with silicone spray or WD-40 and it will prevent moisture from getting in/on the wires...

Another suggestion would be to park under an overhang, tree, or in a garage if possible...or throw a tarp over the hood at night...

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a relay or something of the like. If it starts on a pop, like Mark 88, fuel and spark are obviously working, but at key turn, something is not being turned on or recognized by the computer to start. Cracked distributor cap is a possibility. Sensor possibilities could be any of these though too. TPS sensor, IAC, MAF, EGR or even the FPR.
Don't think it would be the fuel pump relay. If it won't activate when starting, it wouldn't work once running either, hence no fuel to engine and no run.
Does your truck have an alarm system on it? If so and it has a disabler system, it could be preventing the vehicle start. Does the truck do the same thing when you leave school or anywhere else or is it just first thing in the morning? Is the engine cold again by the time you leave school?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals