• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coleman Liquid Fuel

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
They are fun to play with. The one 2nd from the left side is the one I usually use - no real reason why, I just like it.

When I have time I'm going to go through and test each one and probably part ways with several. I know I have at least a couple that don't work right.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
When I have time I'm going to go through and test each one and probably part ways with several. I know I have at least a couple that don't work right.
That's what I'm thinking too...

I have several collections (tube repair kits, gun oil cans, antique fishing bobbers, belt bait boxes, tobacco tins, tonka trucks... and the list goes on... and on) and I just can't keep it all. I closed up my antiques shop and I just have to much stuff.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read this every time you guys post... kinda makes me want to inventory my collection and see exactly what I have anymore. I've bought and sold way more then I currently have. I really need to make myself a good camping set that's ready to go. Probably one lantern... a two burner and a single burner stove. Sounds like a good winter project.
Since I am going to be cooped up in the house this winter I had the same idea. I can't stand it and keep working on them though.

FWIW the single mantle lanterns are not a bad deal, they put out like 3/4 the light on half the fuel with half as many mantles. Bang for buck they are a pretty good deal for efficiency.

The cleaner crank is stuck on my E, my little stove needs the valve rebuilt and I don't know about the generator. Tempted to just get a new valve assembly and generator so I don't have to monkey with trying to find o-rings that are fuel compatible. Undecided on that. Then I have my heater yet too.

I am trying to collect 220's, it is neat to compare what changed with every model change. Going much older is going to get harder, I only have the K to go newer and then there is the newer gen that replaced them if I want to go down that road (CLX and the Powerhouses) The CL2 was a rogue because it was made the same month/year as my Ranger.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
As with my other "collections" I have really no specific direction, I just kinda take whatever comes my way cheap. I have a basement full of old computers, a bunch of old chainsaws, lanterns, Russian firearms, plus my RBV collection insanity... I just can't stay focused. I told my lady friend that if I were to die unexpectedly, at least she'd have a lot of cool crap to sell off for years to come :LOL:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
LOL... I know that feeling. My wife asked me one day what she should do with all my stuff in the event that something happens to me. So what I did was to start putting a price tag on all my stuff for what I would sell it for in my antique shop... I still have a long way to go. But I told her if she sold it for half of what was on the sticker she wouldn't loose any money.

My interests are similar to yours... if it's old... and cheap... I typically buy it. It was a no brainer when I had my shop... I have cut back the past couple years though. I still can't help myself most times when I see old stuff. I have half a plan in retirement to do flea markets and suchto sell it off and make a few dollars while doing it. I still have a weakness for metal toy trucks... old hunting fishing or trapping stuff... and anything that has the word(s) "Sportsman" or "Fred Bear".

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have no interest in collections myself, just utility. I like the older technology because it is less grid dependent. I’m not looking to go off grid, just be less dependent on it.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was looking through some old boxes of my father's in the back the other day and ran across this little coffee maker I guess. I remember he also had some of the round heaters

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was looking through some old boxes of my father's in the back the other day and ran across this little coffee maker I guess. I remember he also had some of the round heatersView attachment 32717
Looks like a 502 backpacking stove? Ancestor to the black one I picked up a couple weeks ago.

It should have the model and month/year of production stamped on it somewhere.

Mine had it on a part below the burner, with the older style fount it might be on the bottom of that (mine is kinda domed and has feet so it isn't a "normal" fount)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It has a 502 on it, but I couldn't find any other numbers stamped there. I need to clean it up, along with an old Dietz N0.2 hurricane kerosene lantern I recently purchased, which is even dirtier than this, but it isn't beat up, just years of sitting in the barn I guess. I'm fairly certain there's an old Coleman lantern back there somewhere too, need to go back and review this whole thread again.
Will diesel and a paint brush do ok to clean them up?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The founts are just painted, the decal may not like it.

Vents on lanterns are ceramic coated to take the heat, some chemicals (like vinegar) can react with them.

Mine is like 30 years newer but here is where they put the date on it:

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I tore down my two 220Fs on my lunch break today. One is a rust bucket but I think I can salvage the pickup tube and valve assembly for the other one, which for some reason has very little fuel getting past the generator. Think the valve is full of crud. I have everything soaking in vinegar. Fingers crossed that it'll work upon reassembly.

@Josh B that stove looks like a keeper. One of those is on my short list of stoves I want. I love the little single burner stoves. I have a plan to build a bracket so that I can use my 533 under my skottle instead of a propane burner... less stuff to carry around. Maybe more heat output too. That would be nice if I'm doing a bunch of chicken or something.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tore down my two 220Fs on my lunch break today. One is a rust bucket but I think I can salvage the pickup tube and valve assembly for the other one, which for some reason has very little fuel getting past the generator. Think the valve is full of crud. I have everything soaking in vinegar. Fingers crossed that it'll work upon reassembly
I have had good luck with acetone breaking up dried old fuel in the pickup tube. 1 for 1 anyway.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Works pretty well now! I think a cleaning was just what it needed. Still has a slight issue holding enough pressure but I'm sure a gas cap seal will fix that up.

The donor lantern is so beat up. I think I'm going to reassemble it and part ways with the little guy... I already have an F and I know I'll have many hours into fixing it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The lantern cases came into today. I needed to work on putting up the car port for the winter, so no time for pictures. The first three rows of uprights needed to be secured before it got dark. Now I can be less hurried with the rest. Oh, what I thought was the replacement globe, for the one that is cracked, turned out to be the wrong one. My mistake. I'll have to do better next time.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am halfway thru this, pretty interesting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals