• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

compatable mazda transmissions for the explorer

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Okay...

1995 Explorer with the Mazda 5 speed. It's been giving me a headache with transmission issues and I'll be hitting the pick and pull tomorrow early morning to see what they have for parts.

Rockauto shows:

FORD EXPLORER 1993-1997
FORD RANGER 1993-1997
MAZDA B4000 1994-1997
MAZDA NAVAJO 1993-1994

We did find a lot of Rangers with that transmission, but they are all 2wd. I'm pretty sure we would have to swap out the output shaft and the tail house extension. Now if I'm wrong about the output shaft, please let me know asap, as they had quite a few of those.

Sense ours is a 4wd, they didn't have any Explorer's with a stick shift, I'm left with either a ranger, or the mazda's listed.

Is there any other makes/models that would work? The wife noted an F150 with the same transmission and 4wd. But that does not show up on the chart.

We've found this one has bad Syncro's...And it's got a heck of a drag on the input shaft when things get 'hot'. Cold isn't a problem. Get 'er up to full temp and hot? The issues returned with going into 1st and 2nd...and reverse had the gear grind return. Shut the truck 'off' and you can shift easy. So likely either the slave is dragging it's heels (NO signs of leakage and we bleed it out about a dozen times. No air in the system that we've found)

Just planning ahead if I need parts, or if the input shaft's been partly roached by the pilot bearing.... I'd rather have one on hand that can be either hot-swapped in, or if parts are needed (shift housing/forks/etc...) They will be on hand.

S-

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are 2 sizes of M5OD mazda transmissions
M5OD-R1 , used in Rangers, B-series, Aerostars and Explorers.

M5OD-R2, used in F-series and E-series, larger than R1 and won't fit 4.0l Explorer

All M5ODs have integrated bell housings(can't be removed), so M5OD from a 3.0l vehicle will not bolt to a 4.0l vehicle, no way to adapt for that.

M5OD-R1 Tail shaft housing and shafts can be swapped without total rebuild, not to hard but not simple either.

I assume you have a 4.0l OHV engine, so would need a 4.0l M5OD-R1.
M5OD-R1 often abbreviated as just M5R1.

1995 was first year of electronic speedometer in Dash for Rangers and I assume explorers, the VSS(speed sensor) is on the transfer case in a 4WD.
This means you can use an M5OD-R1 from any year 4.0l OHV or 4.0l SOHC, 1990 to 2011
best would be:
1990–2000 Ford Ranger, 4.0l OHV
1990–1995 Ford Aerostar, 4.0l OHV
1991–2000 Ford Explorer, 4.0l OHV or 4.0l SOHC
Or
2001–2003 Ford Explorer Sport, 4.0 L SOHC
2001–2011 Ford Ranger, 4.0 L SOHC

M5OD-R1-HD was used with 4.0l SOHC engines, HD means an extra bolt hole in the bell housing, yes really, lol, so fits your 4.0l OHV just fine

I would try to find 4WD 4.0l OHV M5OD-R1 not sure on swapping tail shafts from 1995 to a 2005 for example.
But they all bolt to the BW1354 transfer case you have now.

A used M5OD-R1 is a pretty safe bet, they are a very good transmission and last the life of a vehicle if maintained.

M5OD's use ATF inside not Gear oil, yes automatic transmission fluid(ATF), many M5R1's and R2's have been "killed" by people adding gear oil instead of ATF.

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks for all the information.

We did drain out some really funky ATF when we first purchased it, and refilled using Mercon as recommended. Odd thing about the fluid that was drained: It had a very heavy look like someone dumped in a bottle of graphite. I'm almost thinking it could have been, in an attempt to get it to function better.

I've had suggestions to blown out syncros, to pilot bearing hanging up on the input shaft....Bent shift arm...etc...

I thought we had it licked after we flushed/bleed out the clutch. It was shifting great, and then it slowly degraded. There's no sign of any leakage or air in the system. So in my "Let's overthink" what could be wrong like I often do. The back of my mind wonders if the preload spring on the slave is getting very weak. That's supposed to hold the throw out bearing against the pressure plate 'fingers' and if weak and pulling back a bit, could explain why the clutch has drag when it's very hot (after running for a while) and it's hard to get into 1st or reverse (grinds only when hot).

At this point all I can do is plan for the worst and hope for the best. And if I can find a serviceable used one? That should give me parts to swap and figure this out.

Kinda wanted to explain my reasoning. The pick and pull yard has 2 Rangers with 4wd stick shifts. The interchange catalog at the yard stated they are a direct 'fit' for the explorer. I will of course verify engine type (I was not aware of the bell housing design...) And hopefully things go smoothly.

Thanks again for the help!!

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ohh yes...

The 1995 Explorer we have came standard with a BW 4405 transfer case. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. When we changed it out due to a bad bearing and case issues, We did a lot of poking around online to figure out exactly what type we had.

S-

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oops sorry, the BW4405 has the same trans bolt pattern as BW1354, so Ranger or other M5R1 4WD will work.

Also forgot the Mazda B-4000 but you have that on your first list

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Oops sorry, the BW4405 has the same trans bolt pattern as BW1354, so Ranger or other M5R1 4WD will work.
This is my first time of working this deep with a 4wd system.

We just pulled the odd sized tires off to see if the correct tires would correct the 4wd auto issues. (235/75/15 on rear and 235/70/15 on front) That combination seemed to throw the 4wd control box for a loop, and the auto function wasn't to happy. With the correct tires, the system now tries to work without shaking and shuddering. But it started to trigger the flashing 4wd/4wd low lights and disengaged the whole 4wd back to 2. Not important currently, but I'm trying to fix all the transmission issues--and then the 4wd issues before the snow flies. (So we should have plenty of time.....)

Also had a hell of a 'clunk/binding knock' sound when I was doing a tight corner in 4wd low (very slow speed...crawling) So I'll have to check the axle shafts as well. Might have one of the CV's binding.

As you can see, we're doing our best to restore this ol' girl back to the former self. But it doesn't help the last owner was an idiot. (He changed the P/S rack due to a leaky cooler......He didn't know what it looked like. And he also tore apart the clock spring for the steering wheel. When I replaced it? It looked like he grabbed the wheel and went "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" about a dozen turns without the rack installed!)

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo

Also forgot the Mazda B-4000 but you have that on your first list
Oddly enough no Mazda B series are in the pick and pull yard, nor any of the Mazda trucks. Either they where that well built they are still being driven? Or they fell apart early and are all crushed.

S-

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Don't forget the M5OD-R4.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, the M5R4, detachable bell housing, but where to you get other bell housings, lol
real unicorn

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Who cares about another bell? It was used on the 4.0 SOHC, so it will bolt to the OHV as well.

But yeah, since is was a 2% production option for one year and the shifter would be in the complete wrong spot it's kind of irrelevant.

Also, something is telling me that was a 2wd only trans.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It's all academic at this point.

Went to the yard in in Auburn. It's a longer drive, but the people that run the place are friendly and decent. Found the rear gate window release push button thing (we have a 1998 gate on our 1995) and they only charged $3.00 for it. So that was worth the trip considering ours has a crack in the plastic.

The interchange system needs a kick. They listed 4 explorers and 2 rangers that would interchange. I didn't look at the Explorers for transmissions, as I already went through them last month. All auto's.

The Rangers? Both 2wd. The interchange guide states "Adapter off back of trans may be needed to be switched".

hummm...yeah.. Other issue is that the ranger I could get under? Had a 4 cyc. and was 2wd. The other Ranger? Didn't check the engine, 2wd.. And was dangerously tipped partly off the "stands" they use to lift these off the ground. Even if that was 4wd with the v6? No way I was risking crawling under it. As a side bar: I was going to pull the shift assembly off the top of the transmission for the forks and stuff. I would need a cutting torch to break the transmission crossmember out. Both ends caked with rust. Attempted to see if I removed the upper access panel, that would only provide rear bolt access to the shifter assembly. Without tilting the transmission back/down--no way to lift the assembly out. Swing and a miss....

This is where the "Rude" yard gets higher points IMO. This yard takes two wheels and welds them into a set of stands. The yard run by the rude idiots? Takes 3-4 steel wheels and stacks them on top of each other and then lifts it by 4 corners. Much more solid to work under. Not saying the other way isn't 100% safe--- But I'd be the first one to bounce the bumpers a few times before crawling under it.

So I'll have to likely invest in a clutch kit, pilot bearing, slave, etc... And hope everything works normally afterwards. (also hope the input shaft where the pilot bearing rides isn't gouged up......)

S-

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
RonD, NOBODY refers to the transmission as an "M5R1" without getting ready to send them a parcel forwarded by Ted Kazinski...

It is the "M5OD-R1", please never refer to it by any other designation
and if you see any other form besides "M5OD-R1" call them on it

The M5R1 designation was used exactly once in factory literature and it did not refer to our beloved transmission... this was a reference to the "ranger-5" or "TK-5" trans...

And between you, me and the rest of the forum I'm pretty sure it was an uncorrected typo...

As for the M5OD-R4 transmission, I was unaware that any of them "escaped" from the ford technology center...

Has anyone EVER seen one that they could put their hand on.... I'd love to get my hands on one... it would save me a bunch of work... I'm very interested in using one to facilitate some unconventional engine choices...

(a 2.5 liter Volvo 5cylinder DOHC engine boosted these make 275-290Hp fairly easily, but an M5OD-R4 trans would open the door to my using a Volvo/Yamaha V8)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think you have mentioned the M5R1 abbreviation before.

If you google: Ranger M5R1

Or just: M5R1

It seems to be a popular abbreviation for M5OD-R1 not limited to a few sellers or owners.
It may not be correct terminology, but neither is the term "freeze plug" or the fender mounted Ford "Starter Solenoid", my pet peeves, they are core plugs or starter relays, lol.

I include M5R1 as one of those popular misnomers because when looking for parts or whole transmissions, M5R1 is commonly used by sellers

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the internet just lays there like a blank page and lets all kinds of idiots put anything on it...

Here at TRS we are supposed to know better, if you type "M5R1" I WILL appear and complain about you using that nomenclature and noting that it is "incorrect" it is MY JOB here.

please, Please PLEASE!!! make my job easier by not using "M5R1" when referring to the "Ranger/Explorer M5OD-R1"

If you see ANYONE else use M5R1, correct them...

I've been nice about it, but I am under no obligation to be "Nice" about it.

My Job here at TRS is not "moderating" moderators are tasked with keeping posts in the proper forum, deleting duplicate posts and reporting various kinds of misbehavior to admins.
Admins deal with stuff that moderators cannot

Tech advisors make sure that this forum spreads technical knowledge.
and that that Tech is CORRECT and TRUE

It is my belief that most people typing "M5R1" are to put it simply
JUST TOO F'ING LAZY to type "OD". and I'll freely admit that it rubs a pet peeve....

But when someone referring to the F-150/Bronco (full size) transmission as an "M5R2"
I will not even attempt to be "nice" about it, because there IS a another trans with that designation, the Mazda built manual trans in the MN12 chassis Thunderbird Supercoupe...

Using "M5R2" referring to a trans other than the Supercoupe trans is a "hanging offense"
in my book of technical correctness crimes. (The Hanging to done with barbed wire or frayed winch cable)
But I suppose we could also substitute impalement on a barbed wire wrapped railroad Tie if hanging with barbed wire offends anyone...

this may all seem a little over the top, but we must use the same terms or technical explanations won't be worth the electrons we used to send them to someone's blank screen.

Particularly with transmission designations which are in essence Parts numbers,
somewhere else you don't want to drop any characters.

People and texting making up their own abbreviations... don't do it here!

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals