• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

compression ratio, whats too much?

insaneranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/40 R18
Shouldn't be a problem on the street, but like others have said, simply run a higher octane if you have any issues. I run 92 or 93 octane (that's the highest available here). I filled up one day & the 93 octane pump was out of order so I used 87. I started having a knocking problem later that day. A bottle of 104 octane booster took care of the problem. I've used nothing, but high octane ever since. I also run 100% gas & avoid ethanol.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Warning boring, engineering post; might want to skip to bottom:

Octane is a hydrocarbon molecule – C8H18. The Octane Rating System defined pure Octane as having value of 100 and Heptane (C7H16) as having a value of 0 when run in the standard variable compression engine – much like water boils at 100°C and freezes at 0°C. The rating system only defines how susceptible the fuel is to knock, it has nothing to do with heat content.

For Research Octane Number (RON), the engine is run at 600 rpm, for Motor Octane Number (MON), the engine is run at 900 rpm/fuel mixture is preheated and ignition timing varied which provides a more accurate number on how fuel will burn in carbureted engine. The number at the pump is average of 2.

So, 87 octane fuel, theoretically would be 87% Octane and 13% Heptane. But practice rarely matches theory.

At refinery, unless you have pure feedstock, you are going to have to modify the product to meet the specification (and you are going add detergents, stabilizers, water, etc). And you are going to want to spend the minimum you can to meet the requirement. So, if I can slip in a little Hexadecane (C16H34) – which would have a negative Octane number (about -30), but add a little more Octane, i.e. a mix of 88% Octane/9% Heptane/3%Hexdecane, you could deliver a cheaper product, that still meets the specification. Alternatively, the spec could be met with some Hexane (C6H14) which has Octane number of about 25. e.g. 85% Octane/7% Heptane/8%Hexane. And refineries get super complex with a whole list of hydrocarbons to make up your gasoline.

Now, Octane has enthropy of combustion of ~5.5MJ/mol, Heptane about 10% less, Hexane about 20% less, and Hexadecane about double. So, solution two has 10% more energy/volume than theoretical solution while solution three has 10% than theory.

The theoretical gas is very consistent in its knock properties; the practical, with their varied mixtures, not so much. The better the companies engineers, the worse product you are getting at pump…

In the good olde days, refineries cranked out sludge and added tetraethyl lead (CH3CH2)4Pb – 1g/liter was worth 10+ octane points…

To OP: I would stick with a 331 – in fact I have. 3.4” stroke is just too long for a 5.0 block to enjoy longevity (IMNSHO).

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I warned you Dirtman.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Diesel is a totally diffent engine. My 6.0 powerstroke is thw same way.
Lol i know...i was just injecting some smart ass into the thread.

Mechrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Carb or EFI?

Factory EFI with a knock sensor is your best bet for eliminating knock as Ron mentioned. Aftermarket EFI is second best (better fuel distribution than carb/TBI).

You may have to tailor the compression ratio to how you drive it. For instance, if you plan to tow, you want to run lower compression.

You can crutch the compression ratio a bit by running a cam that lowers the dynamic compression ratio. Usually high duration numbers with wide lobe separation numbers will lower dynamic compression. There are dynamic compression ratio calculators available on the internet.

I ran into this with a Comp 268 on my straight-six powered full size Bronco. Pinged like crazy at 9.5:1. Think it was the lobe separation angle of 110 degrees that caused it. Switched to a stock cam with wider separation angles and the ping went away.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Carb or EFI?

Factory EFI with a knock sensor is your best bet for eliminating knock as Ron mentioned. Aftermarket EFI is second best (better fuel distribution than carb/TBI).

You may have to tailor the compression ratio to how you drive it. For instance, if you plan to tow, you want to run lower compression.

You can crutch the compression ratio a bit by running a cam that lowers the dynamic compression ratio. Usually high duration numbers with wide lobe separation numbers will lower dynamic compression. There are dynamic compression ratio calculators available on the internet.

I ran into this with a Comp 268 on my straight-six powered full size Bronco. Pinged like crazy at 9.5:1. Think it was the lobe separation angle of 110 degrees that caused it. Switched to a stock cam with wider separation angles and the ping went away.
I ran a 12:1 steel head 383 sbc stroker on pump gas because of this very reason on the street just driving . Huge durations numbers will bleed off some of the compression

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and if exhaust valve stays open a bit longer then intake stroke will suck in some exhaust gases so an EGR system without the EGR valve
This keeps cylinder temps lower so less likely to ping/knock

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
thanks for input, stock efi will be used. im going w/ 347

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
347 short block

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals