• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

conceal carry gun rant

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
like many have said... pistols are made to get you to the bigger guns (or safety ducked into cover somwhere)...

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
IN is NOT an open carry state. If it was I would not have applied for my CCP. Depending on where you are depends on the people around you react to someone 'having a gun'. A friend lives in Brownsburg and is constantly getting harassed bc he carries all the time. One time he said the officer completely dissembled his firearm and gave it back to him in pieces bc someone called in saying someone as a gun. Not being aware of your constitutional right is no reason to be ignorant. :annoyed:
Indiana IS an open carry state. you didn't apply for or posses a concealed carry permit, you applied for and posses a "License To Carry Handgun"

It is entirely up to you weather you wish to carry concealed or open. Both have their benefits, they both have their drawbacks. If i lived there instead of the gun hating Illinois, i would probably cc until i got to know the community i was in for a bit. After getting to know everyone, LEOs especially, i would open carry.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
like many have said... pistols are made to get you to the bigger guns (or safety ducked into cover somwhere)...
Funny thing is I was quoting Bill Jordan who was in turn quoting Jeff Cooper.

But I really believe the pistol is mainly for making the other guy keep their head down while I get to my rifle.

The best reason to carry a pistol is because it's easier to carry a two pound pistol than a 200pound cop.

And I agree with the joke above... That if you are expecting trouble you'd rather have a rifle or a shotgun
to give trouble a warm welcome

Last edited:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally carry a 9mm S&W shield with an 8 round mag and a spare 8 round on my weak side. I like the 9mm due to its ballistics and control ability.

Carry the biggest caliber you can control. It's all about shot placement. I dont care if your carrying a s&w 500, if you can't put the rounds on target you might as well be walking around with a fork.

Second, it needs to be in a quality holster. I prefer kydex for its retention and ease of pull. I find the 3:30-4:30 position the best.

My shield and ka-bar eskabar knife in my comp tac CTAC.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also agree with this. I like my AR to stay locked loaded ready and close as I can get it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Second, it needs to be in a quality holster. I prefer kydex for its retention and ease of pull. I find the 3:30-4:30 position the best.[/IMG]
That can't be too bad, that is always where John Wayne had his sixgun. :icon_thumby:

Looks kinda goofy for an open carry revolver though... :icon_twisted:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I find it very comfortable. It is there 7 days a week from the time I wake up until i go to bed.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
For those looking for belts. Check out Boxer Tactical. Made by the same guy that did the "Choose Your Own Crime Stats" video and the like. Great belts made in the USA at a good price.

freedom5

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've had aTexas CHL for 10 yrs and have heard all of the contraversaries recommendations. I normally carry a Browning .380 in an inside the pants "Pager Pal" holster in which you can carry a pager or small cell phone. The holster part that is inside the bants has a flat backing which keeps the weapon from "printing". With a little practice it is easy to quick draw. I also carry with a round in the chamber and the safety off. The few seconds it takes to jack a round and turn off the safety can be fatal.

The .380 and 9mm are the same diameter. the only difference is the 9mm casing is about 1/16th of an inch longer allowing a bit more velocity and range. I also have a Ruger 9mm but it is bulkier than the Browning .380. Ruger makes a small .380 which is ideal for carrying in your pocket or a female to carry in her purse. I bought one of these for my wife who is also licensed.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had aTexas CHL for 10 yrs and have heard all of the contraversaries recommendations. I normally carry a Browning .380 .
Yes, seems like everyone has their own opion of whats best. Lot depends on situation you all live in. It's like asking what is the best carb and such. I've got one of those 380 Rugers also and it fits right in my flannel shirt pocket. Got a Judge for longer distances but it's hardly a concealed carry on person but nice in the truck or middle of the night.
Dave

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
45 XDm, period... lol

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
45 XDm, period... lol
No....

SpringField Armory XDs. A pocket pistol that holds 5+1 of .45 acp. The only problem is finding one for sale, they just hit the market a few months before the scramble to buy anything that shoots.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No....

SpringField Armory XDs. A pocket pistol that holds 5+1 of .45 acp. The only problem is finding one for sale, they just hit the market a few months before the scramble to buy anything that shoots.
We got one in this week, sold the first day.

Not a big fan of it, too small for the recoil of the .45. Also don't like being limited to 5 round mags.

The 9mm version would be nice though.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
We got one in this week, sold the first day.

Not a big fan of it, too small for the recoil of the .45. Also don't like being limited to 5 round mags.

The 9mm version would be nice though.
have you shot it?
the recoil really ain't as bad as it seems like it'd be IMO.

the 9mm in that size is gonna be sweet, that's probably what I'll buy my gf when she gets her conceal carry license.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes I shot it.

9mm will be much better, but I still like the shield over it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals