• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Concealed Carry Pistol Thread

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Picking up a EAA .40 cal on Friday. :yahoo:

Crashtest84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, I can't believe I have missed this section of the forums. I just went and took my CC class this last Sat. Now I just have to wait on the state background stuff. But I didn't read all the post I will prob end up and carry my. Taurus 27/7 pro .40. i was going to use my sig p239 but its a pretty heavy piece over all the composite guns now days.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Ha just found it too. 4.0, just go with what you like, you can shoot straight, and can carry comfortably.

A couple notes though.

Round size is a forever argument. If you have a .22 that you carry every single day as some have said its way better than that .45 you are reluctant to strap on. I sure dont want a face full of .22 and i wanna watch if you find somebody who does. I personally prefer at least .380/.38 up and personal fave is good old .45acp.

I kinda like a good old .38 s&w revolver for edc. Easy to hide, light and tough. Not to mention sitting in a holster with 5 rounds its under no tension at all. Draw it and pull the DAO trigger. yeah its only 5 shots but if i need more than that a a couple speedloaders out and about i got bigger problems lol. Granted its doubtful a semiauto will have a mag spring give up the ghost if you keep check on it but its nice to know that revolver can be basically forgotten about and then needed and barring a ftf or related ammo malfunction. Itl give you all 5 in a row no questions asked. Not knocking semiauto at all. Just my opinion for edc.

And finally (doubt you'll have this concern since you stated your small budget) dont pack around a high dollar gun. One of those $1000 colt defenders sure is nice but if you should ever have cause to use it. Even totally justified. Law enforcement will most likely take it into evidence while they carry out the investigation. Meaning it could be kept for days to years and even indefinitely. Or i've heard of cases of stuff going "missing" in the evidence locker after the case is closed. Or a similar examle a friend had his unloaded gun in his truck in tennessee(before the recent ccw reciprocity act) and was puleed over for speeding. He dutifully informed the officer of his unloaded firearm and gave his nc ccw permit with his DL. The officer promptly confiscated it and told him he would have to pick it up at the courthouse on or after the court date for his traffic violation and was lucky he wasnt being arrested for illegally carrying in TNor something like tyat. He called and found out they wanted a $500 dollar fee to return it and would have to drive the 4 hrs to pick it up. So including gas in his truck there and back it would have cost him nearly $700 for his $550 glock 19. I'm not saying go cheap as you can because you are going to trust your life with it, I'm saying in the course of the law it is very possible to lose posession of your firearm so just know how much you could be out

these are just my thoughts and opinions. I wish you luck on finding whats right for you and i pray you NEVER need it. Stay safe out there

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I kinda like a good old .38 s&w revolver for edc. Easy to hide, light and tough. Not to mention sitting in a holster with 5 rounds its under no tension at all. Draw it and pull the DAO trigger. yeah its only 5 shots but if i need more than that a a couple speedloaders out and about i got bigger problems lol. Granted its doubtful a semiauto will have a mag spring give up the ghost if you keep check on it but its nice to know that revolver can be basically forgotten about and then needed and barring a ftf or related ammo malfunction. Itl give you all 5 in a row no questions asked. Not knocking semiauto at all. Just my opinion for edc.
Depending on what you are staring down, if you have a FTF it may be better to just pull the trigger again so it will cycle to the next hole... no racking required.

Not recommended, but risking a missaligned fire may be better that what else may happen. Generally they say to wait a full minute or two in case you have a delayed fire, but I think there are conditions out there it may be worth the risk.

They all have their +'s and -'s... :dunno:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Ok. The EAA fell threw like I knew it would so I got a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 40 cal. Absolutely love the gun;however, it needs a trigger job. The pull is a little too long for my liking.

Blueox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Trigger Pull

So much talk about this subject.

In my opinion, the last thing you want for a carry gun is a lite trigger. They are great for target practice, but dangerous for a carry gun. You could be holding someone off and accidently fire. In the heat of the moment, you will not be hindered by a long and/or stiff pull.

Just my opinion.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
shoot, it could go off when you're still carrying it too......there was a cop somewhere a couple months back that had a accidental discharge in a mall. he was off duty at the time, digging in his pocket or something and the gun went off. (i read that he didnt even get punished either)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i've had people tell me that they don't even want a safety on their carry gun.. stupid IMO but.. different folks different strokes right?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i've had people tell me that they don't even want a safety on their carry gun.. stupid IMO but.. different folks different strokes right?
I suppose it is kinda like those guys with locked differentials: you just assume the thing will always try to kill you at any given oppertunity so you are just really careful. I would just as soon be really careful with the safety on though...

I carry my pistols (revolvers) on an empty hole just because they have no safety, if they had one it would be on. I even go through the "hassle" to use the one on my 91/30.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of people like guns with no bells or anything fancy.. And no safety that way then know it works when you pull the trigger.

I love the way the safety's are with the XD's. The grip safety and all.. I don't wanna shoot myself! Lol

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I conceal carry a Glock 26 9mm in a Fobus Holster and have for 12 years. As for the accidental discharges......they get called that cause the ones who set them off are the idiots who put their finger on the trigger while taking it out of the holster or messing with it in public. Therefore nobody sees them messing with them and it is easier to call it an accident when it was operator error.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
My Taurus has a safety and it is on but there is one in the chamber. That way at a flip of the switch, I am ready to rock and roll. I am going to a gun smith in about 2 wks to have my trigger issue resolved. I have experienced a wide variety of opinion on Taurus as a whole.

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I currently carry a Kimber Tactical .45 (just like the one in the picture on page 1). Little story as to how I ended up with it....my cousin had just got back on the PD and his Sgt. found out he was carrying the Kimber off-duty. He was informed that he should carry the same weapon type off-duty as he does on-duty so there is never any thinking if/when he has to draw it...I had the baby Glock and was looking to unload it (great gun I just hate them because there is no mechancial safety)...he called and ask if we could trade for awhile so of course I said HELL YES! He is wanting it back now but not only have I come to love this fine weapon so has my 17 year old daughter.

As for carrying I work at Tinker AFB so I cannot bring a weapon into the base so I'm empty pretty much everyday...it sucks as I drive 30 miles to and work everyday and if I go anywhere after work well...I get to rely on the police to protect me. Maybe one of these days they will allow us to carry and leave in our ride (fingers crossed).

I bought my 9 year old son a Walther P22 for Christmas so he can learn on an auto. So far it seems like a great little weapon. Hope to put a bunch of rounds though it next weekend!

Steve

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
The p22 is a great gun; and awesome to use to get used to a semiauto with. Good choice.

I'm not a big Kimber fan. They are awesome.... But expensive and still like the xd's more!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My Taurus has a safety and it is on but there is one in the chamber. That way at a flip of the switch, I am ready to rock and roll. I am going to a gun smith in about 2 wks to have my trigger issue resolved. I have experienced a wide variety of opinion on Taurus as a whole.
Mine are pretty much the antithesis for a concealed carry pistol. 3lbs with a 7.5" barrel and precussion blackpowder. I do open carry during hunting season once in awhile though.

If there was one gun that did everything and everybody liked there would only be one gun made. I like the "ker-boom" and massive amounts of fire and smoke (not to mention smell) when I shoot mine :D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals