• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

contaminated oil? ticking/tapping?

the_orangutan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't a lemon, but it's damn sure orange
Just off the bat this forum and the people who contribute to it are INCREDIBLE. In the past four months I've disassembled the engine in my '98 3.0L 5speed 4x4 XLT, had the short block and heads rebuilt by a mach shop, and reassembled with all new gaskets, almost all new sensors, new clutch/slave cylinder/pilot bearing, front and rear seals, oil pan/pump, and other parts I can't remember. So big ups to this forum the admins and all the members for all the help along the way thank you guys (and gals?) in a big way, I'd buy you all a round, a bunch of rounds :beer:

I started this project with NO experience. Only ever changed oil once, that's it. Started this project a total noob and after four months of frustration, I'm more in touch with my inner idiot. And the truck runs! And no external leaks! :yahoo: Broke her in, bout 600 miles with an oil change at 25mi and another at about 500mi.

A photo from the first oil change is attached. The oil is cloudy which got me paranoid about the lower intake manifold to head gaskets, if they sealed proper. The second oil change was somewhat better same kind of cloudy though. Can anyone identify the contamination, if it is coolant or moisture or something else?

Also got ticking/tapping coming from the valve cover so I figure it's a jumping pushrod, either a rocker arm is loose or a hydraulic lifter is lame. Any suggestions? I'm about to take off on a cross-country road trip from Miami to Colorado, is it necessary to fix that tapping before leaving or will the truck make the trip alright?

Hope y'all had a smashing holiday, responses much appreciated!

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals