• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling system question

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I installed a new water pump in the 98 ranger 3.0, while disconnecting the hoses, one of the fittings broke, the store calls it heater tee (Dorman part # 47993), it's the fittings that screws to the block and I believe the temperature switch screws into that fitting and the orange connector plugs into it, then a small hose from there goes to the lower radiator hose.
Anyways, they order one, took 2 days to show up, just to find out the sensor won't screw intothe fitting, even tried a new sensor and it won't fit. They order another one and same thing, sensor won't fit, like the threads are different or something.
The truck has been sitting for a week now and she wants to get out of the garage.
I read you can screw the sensor right to the block and plug the hose. What exactly that sensor/switch do and what will happen if I do that? Is it just for heater purposes or will it mess with anything else?
I'm about to do it but I want to make sure it won't screw something else up. Sorry if I sound dumb but I need to get it done somehow. Thanks guys..

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I mean, on every other engine ive seen the sensor screws into the intake manifold...directly...

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes RonD, the one with the sensor. As I understand the hose is just a bypass to help the engine warm up faster, am I right?
The guys at the store gave me the stuff to plug the hose for for free if I decide to go that route, since their fitting didn't work.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I mean, on every other engine ive seen the sensor screws into the intake manifold...directly...
The Cologne engines have them in the intake, except the SOHC which has no lower intake, so they are in the t-stat housing. The small blocks have them in a stand pipe tree. The 2.3 has it either in the t-stat housing or a fitting in a heater hose, depending on year. The Triton engines have them in the heads.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what the logic would be behind that lower rad hose "T" to upper intake.
Wouldn't be to heat up engine faster.
If anything it would slow heating up down.
Radiator coolant is stone cold until thermostat starts to open

Best guess would be that water pump design needed better flow.
Lower rad hose is the IN for the water pump
So may be it needed better flow before thermostat opened, so this hose provided that flow out of upper engine and down to lower hose and back into water pump.

But I don't see any major reason for it, but surprises me you can't get a sensor for it.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You should be able to use a pitch gauge to find out if it's metric or sae. I'll bet it's metric. Then buy an adapter to go from one to the other. The adapters I've used are pricey but....
Other option is to find a tap same size as the sensor and tap the fitting. That'll be pricey too.
Up here I would go to an industrial supply house, such as AES or Greggs.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure what the logic would be behind that lower rad hose "T" to upper intake.
My truck has that design. I assumed it is the WP bypass, even though it's so big. It does add to cooling and I have it wrapped with pipe insulation to help the engine heat faster/higher.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals